TRQ hubs...I'll be your Huckleberry...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

TRQ hubs...I'll be your Huckleberry...

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 am

Well, a while back I posted a poll for opinions on wheel bearing hub options and since no one participated, and like Cartman says, "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" :P

But, seriously.. I'm getting some time off and the V8 brake project on my 06 Pathy is getting to be a "must do soon" on my list of things to do. While I got everything apart and since there's 200,000 miles on them, I'm going to bite the bullet and replace all of the wheel bearing hubs while I'm at it. Don't really need it, but I hate doing things twice and hopefully the new ones will hold up for as long as I own the SUV! This also gives me a chance to test out my new Imgur account, as Photobucket isn't worth it, anymore, and I refuse to pay for a service I can get elsewhere for free.

I already had a new Timken front hub "laying around the house," and since Timken is the OE supplier for the Nissan hubs and they are made in the USA, it was an easy choice. I picked up another front from Rockauto.com, which was the cheapest price I could find.

I've already got all of the parts I need for the brake upgrade, so the only thing holding me up is the rear hubs. The problem is that money is currently on the tight side and as much as I always preach stick with genuine Nissan or the OE part supplier, $260 or so for a pair of Timken rear hubs is a hard pill for my wallet to swallow right now! I have used Beck~Arnley in the past when my 2008 needed a rear hub. Beck~Arnley has a long-standing history of using repackaged OEM parts or similar quality. At $90 each from Rockauto, it's also one of the lowest priced, name brand hubs at the Rock. However, lately I've been hearing a lot of positive "chatter" about 1A Auto Parts, which offers free shipping and limited-lifetime warranties on the parts they sell. For hubs, they sell Timken (at a much higher price than Rockauto and, "no," they don't price match...I tried) and TRQ (...who?). I later found AM Auto Parts which sells the same parts for even cheaper, but a warranty of "only" ten years. Honestly, I'm really not expecting to have my Pathfinder ten years from now, but who knows? Also, who knows if either of these companies will be around in 10-years or longer to honor the warranty? There are a lot of similarities between the two sites and companies that some have suggested they are the same, despite claims from a 1A Auto Parts person that said they are not. That's a topic for another day! For now, let's talk about TRQ (Total Reliable Quality....so they say):

I had emailed A1 Auto about TRQ and where they were made and I got the generic answer "all our parts are OE equivalent or better"...yada, yada, yada. The answer is "China," which comes to no surprise, these days. There are a lot of companies that make very good parts in China, especially those that are making parts for big name companies that insist on quality standards, like Michelin tires, and then there are the companies that make trash or even counterfeit parts, many of which can be found on Ebay. A1 Auto wanted $121 for a pair of TRQ rear hubs and AM Auto wanted only $93 for the pair. AM Auto also offered a 5% discount code, which erased the cost of tax for me. AM also had a pair of headlamps for my 03 Frontier SVE for only $90 (Eagle Eyes brand from Taiwan, which are actually pretty good quality), so I went with them, despite reading a few bad reviews about shipping delays. I received my parts in 5-days, which included a holiday weekend. The hubs looked to be of good quality, for what it's worth. There was no brand or numbers on the bearing, like you would find on a Timken hub, but I've found most of the hubs I've looked at don't have anything on the bearings, including the Beck~Arnley hub I put on my 08 Pathy. Both sites claim, like the original equipment hubs, the TRQ hubs have roller bearings (not ball bearings), which is what you want on a wheel bearing for a truck or SUV. The hub turns smooth with a little resistance, as one would expect for a new hub. And as much as I've searched, I really couldn't find any bad reviews regarding the TRQ hubs or failures, except for one Toyota in which the owner installed the wrong part number hub (I can't blame TRQ for that!). I wish I could have found some high-mileage reviews, but I couldn't; one person did have 7000 miles on one, but it wasn't a Nissan. We also have this review on our site:

https://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php ... 01eca7cee1

I'll play the quinea pig, this time! Hopefully, the TRQ hubs will hold up over the years and mileage I'll put on the Pathy. Most of my driving is on highways and I don't tow hardly at all, so she doesn't get abused, which may help. Only time will tell, but I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase as of now...knock on wood...

https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/W ... 338&y=2006

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 am

Nice!! Thanks for letting us know.. I am sure some vehicles are getting to the point where they might need that TLC! :D

CRC11007

Postby CRC11007 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:17 am

Definitely keep us posted! I know this will be on my agenda eventually...
Any recommendations for CV half-shafts? Are you replacing these at the same time?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:07 am

No, I'm not getting that carried away! My shafts are good. If I was, I'd probably go with Cardone if I was shopping for some. I think the choices are pretty limited, but at least Cardone has a lifetime warranty.

kathygill

Postby kathygill » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 pm

smj999smj wrote:No, I'm not getting that carried away! My shafts are good. If I was, I'd probably go with Cardone if I was shopping for some. I think the choices are pretty limited, but at least Cardone has a lifetime warranty.
Thanks for your help and suggestion.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:53 am

Last few hubs I've done I ordered from Autoshack.com.

The pathfinder was $65 canadian shipped to my PO box.

So far so good, I've also used an Autoshack hub on my rogue.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:07 pm

disallow wrote:Last few hubs I've done I ordered from Autoshack.com.

The pathfinder was $65 canadian shipped to my PO box.

So far so good, I've also used an Autoshack hub on my rogue.
just rechecked the price on the website, and they've had a huge increase! I bought the hub assembly for $65, and now the listing for the same part is $96!

https://ca.autoshack.com/HB615067

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”