Low oil pressure

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Twospeed

Low oil pressure

Postby Twospeed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 am

smj999smj wrote:Yes, both have to be removed. If you are replacing it because of low oil pressure, it may not be the oil pump. There have been issues on a number of VQ engines causing low oil pressure due to failure of the oil gallery cover gaskets on the back side of the rear timing cover. See link:

https://www.motor.com/wp-content/upload ... E_0116.pdf
In reference to this, thank you. I have the low oil pressure at idle issue that comes up when the engine is hot. The oil pressure drops to nearly nothing. I took it to a Nissan dealership right after I bought it and they replaced the oil sending unit, which didn't fix it. They then told me they consulted with Nissan and I needed a new oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster. It'd be $700 to repair because the entire instrument cluster would need to be replaced and took four days to do it. Not what I wanted to spend. After reading this I checked my gaskets. Low and behold, you can see where the gasket is blown. Since there is not a number for a replacement gasket and I'm not ready to spend $300 for gaskets, would RTV work OK for the repair?

Click the link to see the image. I couldn't embed it.

http://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNc ... ZiMXRYSWx3

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:32 am

You can get a gasket and bolt kit for the VQ40DE for $30+shipping if you know where to look:

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-rea ... _31978.php

And me, personally, I wouldn't use RTV. I'm not saying it won't work, but I also can't say that it will. With as much as Nissan uses RTV sealant on this engine, I would have to assume there was a reason they didn't use it on this location.

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:41 am

smj999smj wrote:You can get a gasket and bolt kit for the VQ40DE for $30+shipping if you know where to look:

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-rea ... _31978.php

And me, personally, I wouldn't use RTV. I'm not saying it won't work, but I also can't say that it will. With as much as Nissan uses RTV sealant on this engine, I would have to assume there was a reason they didn't use it on this location.
You rock! Ordered! I understand what you mean about not using RTV on it. Just a little too much and you'd have a blocked passage. Does the upper end get all it's oil through those channels?

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Well, now I have a conundrum. All the screws came out of the gallery cover plate but two. Two came partially out and then stopped. The head started stripping out so I stopped. They aren't open on the backside so I don't understand why they won't come out. I put on some PB and tried working them back and forth few times but they aren't coming out any further and the heads are about gone. I've never had a screw that was enclosed come partially out and then stop like this. Many times when it's open on the backside, but never when it's a closed screw hole. Any suggestions?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:49 pm

You could try carefully heating the aluminum with a propane torch to see if it will come out. If you can't get it out, then only thing you can do is purchase a new rear timing cover, which is about $300 from an online dealer (P/N 13500-EA23A).

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks for the info. I tried that and some other things but both screws ended up snapping off. I've ordered a replacement.

anitastanley

Postby anitastanley » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 am

smj999smj wrote:You could try carefully heating the aluminum with a propane torch to see if it will come out. If you can't get it out, then only thing you can do is purchase a new rear timing cover, which is about $300 from an online dealer (P/N 13500-EA23A).
Thanks for your answer. It helped me a lot.

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:23 pm

So guess what I just found in my Fel-Pro TCS45997 Timing Cover Gasket Set? It has gallery gaskets in it. Who'd a thunk. $7.84 on Amazon. They appear to be quality gaskets.Steel and silicone.

But it only has one of the Collared O-rings in the package. I don't know why it doesn't have two. Oh well.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”