DRL Daytime Running Light module

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

DRL Daytime Running Light module

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 am

Hey everyone,

So I think my DRL module is failing. From what I've seen, they are fairly poorly made, not sealed well, and in the engine compartment.

But damned if I can find mine! Any idea where I can look? I checked 'behind the right headlight' pulled out the battery and came up empty.

I'm getting the following symptoms, but only intermittently:

1. No Daytime running lights when the vehicle is running.
2. When I do turn on the headlights, the driver side one is on like normal, but the passenger side one is in DRL mode (high beam at low power).

I changed the bulb on the passenger (dim) side. Seemed to work, but then didn't the next evening. Pulled the new bulb out, there seems to be some corrosion already present in the bulb socket, probably from the connector. I also heard it can be located in the cab under the steering wheel. Its such a freakin rats nest under there, but I will take a look today or tomorrow to see what I can see. Might also need a new pigtail for the plug, maybe a broken wire somewhere?

Apart from shooting in the dark, I am drawing a blank here, may have to consult the local shop I use to see if they've seen this before. Anybody have some pics or a video I could check out? Apparently once I find it, the circuit board is repairable. Nissan no longer sells the part, discontinued, but I have found a couple on ebay, reconditioned.

DRLs are required by law up here, so I don't want to bypass it (though I see lots of cars driving around without them, which means its a US vehicle that faked out the safety inspection, or their module is bad like mine).

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:20 pm

OK so check that... I just perused the FSM, and it looks like DRL control is done through the BCM for my truck. Section LT page 31.

They have a really good section on checking the relays and wire continuity, so I will do that and see what I find!

t

Return to “R51 Electrical”