The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Auto tensioner noise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
disallow
Site Admin


Joined: 13 Aug 2008
Posts: 2786
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see on Rockauto.com is that the difference between the old and new is 87 9/32" vs 87 7/8". So about 0.60".

I see that new belts are available for about $15 or less, I'd probably just buy a new one and scrap the one you've had lying around for 4 years.
_________________
Terry in Winnipeg

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 343000kms (213000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smj999smj
Site Admin


Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 5530
Location: Prospect, VA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's not a big difference, but what the shorter length does is cause the stock tensioner to put a little more tension on the belt as opposed to the longer belt. From what I can tell, Nissan no longer sells the longer belt as they only list 11720-EA200. The bulletin is over four years old, so the belt you have lying around is likely the updated belt. The Nissan belt is $60, which is ridiculous! I just purchased a belt from Rockauto to go install with my Stillen crank pulley. I went with the Bando 7PK2217. Bando is a long-time, OE supplier of belts to Nissan and they always fit and perform as well as the genuine Nissan belts. For about $10, it was a no-brainer for me.
_________________
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry, Thanks SMJ
yeah, WOW, MSRP on a new OEM belt is about $50, though they can be had for about $35
as I have a tough time using aftermarket parts, i'll use the one on hand (BTW, paid $16.11 for it, bought as a spare, in 2011)
if it's noisey, then i'll get a new one, and just keep this as a spare (i have 2 R51s - a glutton for punishment, aren't i? Shocked
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reference one way or the other in the service manual, but does anyone know if these belts are directional?
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smj999smj
Site Admin


Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 5530
Location: Prospect, VA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No....either way will work.
_________________
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smj999smj wrote:
No....either way will work.

thanks !
I'm having trouble accessing the tensioner assy bolt, because the fan is in the way.
Any way to work around the fan, or does it have to come off?
And if it does have to come off, does the whole fan assy mounting bracket have to be removed?
If the bracket has to be removed, how does one torque the tensioner assy
bolt?
Confused
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eieio wrote:
smj999smj wrote:
No....either way will work.

thanks !
I'm having trouble accessing the tensioner assy bolt, because the fan is in the way.
Any way to work around the fan, or does it have to come off?
And if it does have to come off, does the whole fan assy mounting bracket have to be removed?
If the bracket has to be removed, how does one torque the tensioner assy
bolt?
Confused

Well, I would have liked to have torqued the tensioner adjuster holding bolt "to torque", but opted to tighten it with the same pivoting combo wrench that I used to remove it (an educated "good & tight").
To go the other route would have been the proverbial "Federal Production".
Curious to know what anyone else has used for this operation.
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chezler



Joined: 02 Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, can we open it up one more time?

The last post, by eieio, ask about the torque for the bolt holding the tensioner.
I have searched the web over and, psssst can't find the answer to that question anywhere.
The size of the bolt would hold probably 60 or 70 ft/lbs, but I know it doesn't need any thing like that. It would collapse the spring housing.
I'm thinking more like 25 or 30 ft/lbs. with blue thread locker.
Does anyone know the spec?
Mine is torn apart right now, and I can get a torque wrench in there. (Just replacing the compressor clutch, belt, pulleys). Question
_________________
A bad day on a Harley is better than a good day,...Wait a minute, there is never a bad day on a Harley.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chezler wrote:
Hey guys, can we open it up one more time?

The last post, by eieio, ask about the torque for the bolt holding the tensioner.
I have searched the web over and, psssst can't find the answer to that question anywhere.
The size of the bolt would hold probably 60 or 70 ft/lbs, but I know it doesn't need any thing like that. It would collapse the spring housing.
I'm thinking more like 25 or 30 ft/lbs. with blue thread locker.
Does anyone know the spec?
Mine is torn apart right now, and I can get a torque wrench in there. (Just replacing the compressor clutch, belt, pulleys). Question


41 ft lbs
you can verify it on pg EM-15 in the service manual
http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R51/Service/EM.pdf
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chezler



Joined: 02 Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eieio, that manual is something I've been needing.
41 ft/lbs seems like a lot for that spring housing, but I'll do it.

A lot of good info in there, and on this forum. Glad I found both.

Charlie
_________________
A bad day on a Harley is better than a good day,...Wait a minute, there is never a bad day on a Harley.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chezler wrote:
Thanks eieio, that manual is something I've been needing.
41 ft/lbs seems like a lot for that spring housing, but I'll do it.

A lot of good info in there, and on this forum. Glad I found both.

Charlie


you're welcome. Smile
we have our own on-board service manual:

2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) > 3rd "sticky Pathfinder Info, FAQ's, How To's, Manuals > Service Manual
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chezler



Joined: 02 Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eieio wrote:
chezler wrote:
Thanks eieio, that manual is something I've been needing.
41 ft/lbs seems like a lot for that spring housing, but I'll do it.

A lot of good info in there, and on this forum. Glad I found both.

Charlie


you're welcome. Smile
we have our own on-board service manual:

2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) > 3rd "sticky Pathfinder Info, FAQ's, How To's, Manuals > Service Manual


More good stuff. Thank you.
_________________
A bad day on a Harley is better than a good day,...Wait a minute, there is never a bad day on a Harley.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chezler wrote:

More good stuff. Thank you.


we're full of it!
welcome to the forum! Smile
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eieio
Sponsored Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Location: Prescott, Az.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disallow wrote:
From what I can see on Rockauto.com is that the difference between the old and new is 87 9/32" vs 87 7/8". So about 0.60".

I see that new belts are available for about $15 or less, I'd probably just buy a new one and scrap the one you've had lying around for 4 years.


You were right!
My new (old) belt is squeaking after only 4 years/15,000 miles.
What brand of belt is your preference? Gates? Bando?

How about you smj999smj?
You mentioned Bando before, still a recommendation?

Thanks! Smile
_________________
05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD
& 05 SE

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smj999smj
Site Admin


Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 5530
Location: Prospect, VA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gates component kits from Rockauto.com, which have the updated belt. Nice thing about them is that they have a limited-lifetime warranty. If the belts starts to crack or squeak or if the tensioner spring gets a little week, I order a whole new kit under warranty and send them back the old parts for refund, minus the cost of shipping. For just the belt and the tensioner, it's Gates 38378K for $42. If you want the belt, tensioner and the idler pulley, it's Gates 90K37378A for $70. If I was buying "only" the belt, I usually go with Bando. Gates makes the OE parts for Nissan in North America.
_________________
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group