2006 Nissan pathfinder hard start or no start when hot

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

veroonc

2006 Nissan pathfinder hard start or no start when hot

Postby veroonc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 pm

I have been having this problem were from cold starts perfect but, say i shut off the vehicle after driving and go to start it back it will hard start or i have to wait 50 mins for it to cool down and then start it. Any suggestions what could cause this? only check engine light is for catalytic converter.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:26 am

Sometimes this can be caused by a failing crank position sensor or cam position sensor. It'll fail when it gets hot but start working when it cools down. It also doesn't always trigger a diagnostic code. The misfire caused by said part could also trigger the catalyst code you have. There are component tests in the factory service manual for these sensors, basically checking the resistance with a ohmmeter...however, sometimes the sensor will pass the test if it is in the cold state. Still, may be worth a try compared to just replacing sensors one at a time (or all three at a time) in the hope that it'll repair the problem. NICO Club has FSM's at their site for free use. If you purchase one or more new sensors, stick with Nissan, Hitachi, NTK or Denso brands as some aftermarket brands tend to have quality issues. The crank position sensor is accessible through the passenger side wheel well; you'll have to remove the wheel and bend back, or remove, the plastic wheel well liner. The cam sensors are at the back of the cylinder heads and a little awkward to remove, especially the one on the passenger side. All of the sensors are held in with a single, 10MM head bolt.

wbruner

Postby wbruner » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am

I had the same issue back in August. I change the crank shaft position sensor and have not had any issues since.
Are you noticing the VRC light while driving? That light was on when I was having this issue. However, once I swapped the sensor the light has not come back on.

veroonc

Postby veroonc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:57 pm

I replaced the both cam shaft and crankshaft sensor which stopped the vdc light coming on but, it still continues to hard start or no start when warm.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”