are these any good

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

ALO604

are these any good

Postby ALO604 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:50 am

So I've had my 2010 pathy V6 LE for a few months now. I've read a lot of stuff in these forums and did some work to it. Springs, bags, alignment cams, serpentine belt. Rad bypass/cooler, Wheels and tires.
Its got 150,000klm on it and is a really clean SUV, no rust no dings.
I'm a bit worried reading all the stuff that goes wrong with these things. Engine, trans , electrical.
I've driven Honda's for the last 20 years with very little issues. Should I sell this Nissan while it's all good? I got it for the higher rated SUV towing ability. I'd just as well have a truck.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm

Just rolled 350k kms on my 05.

Keep it.

ALO604

Postby ALO604 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:47 pm

disallow wrote:Just rolled 350k kms on my 05.

Keep it.
Any major repairs or pain in the ass stuff over this time?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Changed radiator 3 yrs ago - $400

Rear Suspension - last year - $1500

Tires every 3-4 yrs - $1000 each time

alternator 2 yrs ago - $500

Body work 3 yrs ago (rusty wheel wells) $1000

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:08 am

The 05-06 models tend to be the most problematic when it comes to the initial "bugs." The transmission is actually very good on these trucks; the majority of the failures is not because of the transmission, itself, but because of the trans cooler in the radiator leaking and dumping coolant into the transmission fluid. If you did the bypass, you won't have to worry about that. The problem is not known on aftermarket radiators, so, if you want to maintain the advantage of having the radiator's trans cooler---which also warms the fluid and keeps it at optimal temperature---you can simply replace it. Rockauto.com has units for $100 that work just fine!
Some of the other problems that occur on these transmissions include the metal pin tracks breaking between the TCM and valve body (which can be repaired by soldering, PNP switch failures (which are part of the TCM/valve body) and speed sensor failure (one's on top of the valve body and one is in the extension housing), but none of these I would consider a "common" failure.
The biggest issue with the engines is sometimes the upper timing chains can cut into or through the plastic chain tensioner faces. This was caused by worn tooling improperly stamping the upper timing chain links. The indication of the problem is a "whining" noise that increases with engine speed from the front of the engine. This occurs to "some" 2005-2010 V6 Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers, but not all. For those that do get the problem, replacing the upper timing chains and tensioner faces fixes the problem for good.
As far as electrical issues, I don't think they are any more prone than any other modern vehicle. I have an 06 and an 08 Pathfinder which have, combined, 450,000 miles on them. I replaced the timing chains and radiators on both of them and the fuel sender on the 08, but they've been pretty reliable, otherwise. Most of the other repairs have been wear items like brakes, struts, etc.

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:54 pm

I just bought a 12 LE in mint condition with low miles 45k. Its here to replace my 06 SE with 238k when the time comes.

The 06 SE has been rock solid requiring only maintenance work. It has not had any of the "severe" issues mentioned on this site. I did by-bpass the tranny-cooler and had not had any issues with it towing and we use it a lot to tow trailers etc.

As an example I swapped out the last OEM wheel bearing at 230k miles! My experience has been nothing but positive with this platform.

Keep in mind just like other forums for bikes etc.. you hear the worst of the worst about vehicles etc. the total number of PF's on the road that never experienced any issues far exceeds the few you read about on a forum.

My 2C
Pete

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:46 am

I went from driving Domestic vehicles for the last 15 years to all of our vehicles being Nissan now. Best thing I could have ever done! So much more happier with our vehicles. Even with 160 KM on my 09' Pathy, I have so much more faith in her then I did any of my domestic wagons!!!

Rebuilt the engine in my 01' Sentra and my daughter drives it everywhere.
Enjoy your Pathfinder!!

Return to “R51 General Chat”