Auto 4wd Real World Performance

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

chrschm

Auto 4wd Real World Performance

Postby chrschm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 pm

I know this has been posted about before but I haven't seen many opinions on how well the Auto 4wd system on the LEs actually works. I have done lots of reading on how the auto mode operates (power is distributed from the rear to the front based on slippage, throttle input, etc) but I'm wondering how well it works, specifically for snow driving. Can you notice the slippage on the rear wheels before the front kicks in? Is there any sort of clunk in the driveline when this happens, or is it seamless? And how does it compare in performance with something like the full time 4wd system on land cruisers or some 4runners, or awd systems like subarus? Thanks for any input!

HiBRiD109

Postby HiBRiD109 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:05 am

I think it works pretty well though I dont use it unless there is snow on the ground. If there are few inches and im not driving over 45mph, I'll just set it to 4High. But if its less than 2 inches, I'll throw it in Auto. I don't notice any slippage unless under heavy acceleration. Its a smooth transition so you don't feel it engaging as I believe its always providing power, just less until it feels you need the power distributed. You'll just notice less to no slippage that you would feel if you were in 2WD.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Auto 4wd Real World Performance

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:40 am

chrschm wrote:I know this has been posted about before but I haven't seen many opinions on how well the Auto 4wd system on the LEs actually works. I have done lots of reading on how the auto mode operates (power is distributed from the rear to the front based on slippage, throttle input, etc) but I'm wondering how well it works, specifically for snow driving. Can you notice the slippage on the rear wheels before the front kicks in? Is there any sort of clunk in the driveline when this happens, or is it seamless? And how does it compare in performance with something like the full time 4wd system on land cruisers or some 4runners, or awd systems like subarus? Thanks for any input!
-The auto system on the LEs (and a few select SEs) compares very favorably with the AWD system of those other OEMs you mentioned. plus you can always set it to 4Hi ( this is the equivalent to the toyotas "center locking diff", which reviewers always seem to make a big deal of, yet the Pathy also has this)

- The Pathy LE combines the best of both worlds.. the ability to drive "AWD" on roads and the aid this gives when they are slippery or mixed, dry and slippery, with the hard as nails offroad set-up of a traditional 4WD transfer case that offers 4Hi and 4Lo.

Even though mine doesnt have the upgraded transfer case of the LEs, I always wanted an LE for that reason..

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:27 pm

I love that I can move from AWD to 4HI easily and still have 4LO. I switch it in AWD when I am on roads that are spotty ice or on washboarded forest service roads.

I only notice the rear wheels slipping when I really punch it on slick roads.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 am

it's pretty seamless and i leave mine in AUTO all the time except when there's a few inches of snow on the ground. it is very similar to the ol' GM Smart Trak II system.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”