The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Rear Hatch Window Leak
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mr Mayor



Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 195
Location: Jerzey. North. It sux.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a pattern here guys...... And this "leak" has happened to me, so I looked into it.

It turns out the water lays on the rubber seal, then you flip open the rear window, which changes where the water was just laying, then upon closing it, it simply moves toward the hinge...

After owning an auto glass shop for many years, there are 3 inevitable things....

All GM's will eventually leak.
Fiat X-19 has the strongest windshield in the frikkin world
and almsot every hatchback/rear window has no place to disperse water unless u dry the window in/out/open and closed.

MGJ
_________________


OLD '08 Path SE V6
Stillen intake, Airbag 1000, Twin hella horns, hardwired radar, front tow hitch.

NEW '13 Path SL V6
MirrorTap/Blendmount Hardwire Radar. Future= chrome deletion if possible. 3M Stone tint, clear 3M bra, darker shaded windshield top.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Npath



Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 356
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Window Leak Reply with quote

SilverGhost wrote:
Anybody ever notice the rear hatch window leaking water? I washed mine today, and happened to open the hatch window. I noticed several streaks on the inside where water had run down the glass. It wasn't wet from washing it, but apparently had occured during previous rains. I noticed the same thing shortly after buying the truck in January, but didn't think much about it and just cleaned it off. Seeing it again, today, concerns me. Probably needs a new gasket, but just wondered if anyone else has seen this happen.


Had that a couple of times, but that was it and it rains 1/4 of the year, here. If it continues and the stealerships won't do anything, then I suggest adding tape to the glass where the rubber meets. I'm sure it needs a bit more compression and the tape should do the trick. I'd use duct tape without the threads.

Other suggestion, if you wanna spend money, visit a auto glass shop and get a replacement seal.

I forgot to mention this but, has anyone noticed corrosion on the 2 nuts that fasten the lift handle to the rear window?

What I've done is taken off the 2 nuts and removed the lift handle. Got a dremel and wheel buffed the male threads on the handle and applied never seize to them. You MUST also add silicone to the handle that makes contact with the glass. A light bead will do as it'll squeeze out when reinstall the the handle.

After days of rain, I can see the water stains going down the sides of the handle... job done!

I thought Nissan would do a better job with something this small.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gray



Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 750
Location: xxx

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Window Leak Reply with quote

[quote="Npath"]
SilverGhost wrote:
... has anyone noticed corrosion on the 2 nuts that fasten the lift handle to the rear window?

What I've done is taken off the 2 nuts and removed the lift handle. Got a dremel and wheel buffed the male threads on the handle and applied never seize to them. You MUST also add silicone to the handle that makes contact with the glass. A light bead will do as it'll squeeze out when reinstall the the handle.

After days of rain, I can see the water stains going down the sides of the handle... job done!


Welcome to the forum NPath. No corrosion on these yet but that's a good tip on corrosion proofing the latch nuts, thanks. I think I'll silicone some rubber nut covers over those as well.

Adding a thin shim to the upper window hinges should apply a bit more pressure at the top of the window gasket to get rid of the leaks as well, but I'll check with the dealership first and see if Nissan is supplying an improved gasket or latch bases or something else to fix the problem.

.
_________________
xxx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Npath



Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 356
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Window Leak Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum NPath. No corrosion on these yet but that's a good tip on corrosion proofing the latch nuts, thanks. I think I'll silicone some rubber nut covers over those as well.

Adding a thin shim to the upper window hinges should apply a bit more pressure at the top of the window gasket to get rid of the leaks as well, but I'll check with the dealership first and see if Nissan is supplying an improved gasket or latch bases or something else to fix the problem.

.[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. I'm also on 3 other Nissan Forums.

Adding thin shims to the upper window... I'll assume you mean between the glass and hinge. That would be a better idea! LOL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
00void



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 65
Location: Holmdel NJ

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

word... count me in for the leaky rear hatch.

i noticed this the day after i took her home as it rained the night i got it. when i went to take pics the next day i noticed the water on the inside of the rear hatch, very much to my dismay. i may have mentioned it in a prior posting on here.

anyway, it's definitely a P.I.T.A. and i plan on mentioning it next time i have an oil change. weird thing is, it hasn't happened when i've gotten my truck washed, only in a rain storm.

to mtbpath:
the water (at least in my case) is coming in around the hinges and where the third brake light is. just those three points.

to LittleStevie:
my dealership doesn't do any warranty work on saturday which means i too would have to leave the truck there during the week. i don't have the time and i doubt they would give a loaner. i have to look into it
_________________
2008 Pathfinder SE // V8 // Silver Lightning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
professorPath



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Location: NC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: my rear hatch window leaks, too Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I suspect more people have this problem.

I bought my Path new last November. The rear hatch window has leaked since I got it. I'm planning to take it to the stealership soon to see what they say.

I already had the sunroof screen adjusted for a rattle. It was quiet for about 3 months after, but is now rattling again.

Otherwise, I'm happy with it. I also have a 2005 Xterra.
_________________
2012 Pathfinder 4x4 Silver Edition
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leadpig



Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 100
Location: Mississippi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: my rear hatch window leaks, too Reply with quote

professorPath wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I suspect more people have this problem.

I bought my Path new last November. The rear hatch window has leaked since I got it. I'm planning to take it to the stealership soon to see what they say.

I already had the sunroof screen adjusted for a rattle. It was quiet for about 3 months after, but is now rattling again.

Otherwise, I'm happy with it. I also have a 2005 Xterra.


I'm on my third. This last one seems to be doing OK, but then it hardly ever rains out here so tough to tell.
_________________
---------------------------------------
2012 Pathfinder SV 4x4 Dark Slate
2009 Versa S 1.8 6sp Red Brick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rogue9



Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 118
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents...
I live in rainy Vancouver, Canada.
my first seal leaked and I had it replaced within 2 years. (Don't remember exactly when)
I'm on my 2nd now and it seems to be OK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dagall



Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 24
Location: Ocoee, FL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Hinges on the window have completely failed. I attribute this to the pressure placed on the hinges by the struts. The screw stripped out of both hinges. Perhaps this could be the cause of the water lead as well. I haven't replaced the hinges yet, they are like $45 each. I just took the struts off and I don't use the glass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leadpig



Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 100
Location: Mississippi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagall wrote:
I just took the struts off and I don't use the glass.


That would kill me, I use the glass more than the tailgate! One of the most useful features I find and something I lament the loss of on so many newer model vehicles. Sad
_________________
---------------------------------------
2012 Pathfinder SV 4x4 Dark Slate
2009 Versa S 1.8 6sp Red Brick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dagall



Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 24
Location: Ocoee, FL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to repair it the other day, but just ran out of time. I am put some JB Weld in the screw holes to see if they will hold. I will get back to it this weekend. I hate not using the glass also.
_________________
2007 Pathfinder SE
Dark Blue/Beige PinStripe
Leather/Bose/DVD
V6,K&N Filter, Airlift 1000
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swerve



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 23
Location: Coquitlam BC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue9 wrote:
my 2 cents...
I live in rainy Vancouver, Canada.
my first seal leaked and I had it replaced within 2 years. (Don't remember exactly when)
I'm on my 2nd now and it seems to be OK.


Hi Neighbour, how's your seal holding up? I just got an 11 with this problem and cleaned and conditioned the seal, but that didn’t stop the slow leak. I’ve thought about shimming the hinge so the glass is tighter to the seal but checked with the dealer about a replacement seal and they said they have revised the part numbers for this seal 4 times so I’m hoping they’re design improvements and ordered one up for 55 CAD.

My slow seeping in leaks.. mostly right at the hinges.




EDIT: this was another leak in the tailgate area: Rusty nuts that hold the glass handle, with the leak, rust starts with the bolt outside and works it’s way in to the nuts.


And that slow leak has run down inside the tailgate and pooled onto the tailgate gasket, and then flowed back into the trunk. Super slow as nothing has been saturated nor any odors developed in the past few weeks I’ve had it sitting out in the rain.




But some rust has developed behind the tailgate gasket. Not sure what I can do to stop this from rusting further.


The replacement window seal is holding up so far. All is now dry within the tailgate and on the tailgate gasket so there are no more drips falling from above.

EDIT: the window gasket was the major leak and 1 of 3 leaks in the tailgate. 2 other minor leaks were in the tailgate window glass handle, and in the tailgate handle itself where 1 bolt’s gasket failed:
https://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=19832
_________________
11 R51 Silver LE 4WD Silver Edition, Michelin Latitude Tour HP

01 R50 Silver LE 4WD RustFinder, Monroe Struts & Shocks, Moog Rear Springs, Michelin LTX M+S on 16" Core Racing Rims, Cooper Discoverer M+S on Stock rims for the Winter


Last edited by Swerve on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NoCode



Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Posts: 50
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nuts/bolts on my hatch handle rusted as well. But it wasn’t the hatch seal leaking it was the handle leaking. The bolts were rusted so bad that one broke and had to be cut to get the handle off. Put a new handle on with a bead of silicone and it’s been dry ever since. Apparently whatever gasket material that comes from the factory doesn’t last very long.
_________________
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 - 116k mi
2010 Honda Odyssey EX - 125k mi
1996 Ford Ranger - 155k mi
2016 Mazda 6 iTouring - 42k mi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swerve



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 23
Location: Coquitlam BC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoCode wrote:
The nuts/bolts on my hatch handle rusted as well. But it wasn’t the hatch seal leaking it was the handle leaking. The bolts were rusted so bad that one broke and had to be cut to get the handle off. Put a new handle on with a bead of silicone and it’s been dry ever since. Apparently whatever gasket material that comes from the factory doesn’t last very long.


Agreed. I got to removing my handle to clean up the rust off and broke a bolt too. I agree that the foam washers these come with aren’t up to par to seal out the water long term and likely the cause of the rust on 1 bolt and nut in my case. Looking more closely it seems the foam washer on one side wasn’t flat enough during the install. In any case, when replacing these handles, some silicone above the openings is a must. My dealer has these handles in stock so that’s a sign they are failing often enough.



_________________
11 R51 Silver LE 4WD Silver Edition, Michelin Latitude Tour HP

01 R50 Silver LE 4WD RustFinder, Monroe Struts & Shocks, Moog Rear Springs, Michelin LTX M+S on 16" Core Racing Rims, Cooper Discoverer M+S on Stock rims for the Winter


Last edited by Swerve on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NoCode



Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Posts: 50
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swerve wrote:
NoCode wrote:
The nuts/bolts on my hatch handle rusted as well. But it wasn’t the hatch seal leaking it was the handle leaking. The bolts were rusted so bad that one broke and had to be cut to get the handle off. Put a new handle on with a bead of silicone and it’s been dry ever since. Apparently whatever gasket material that comes from the factory doesn’t last very long.


Agreed. I got to removing my handle to clean up the rust off and broke a bolt too. I agree that the foam washers these come with aren’t up to par to seal out the water long term and likely the cause of the rust on 1 bolt and nut in my case. Looking more closely it seems the foam washer on one side wasn’t flat enough during the install. In any case, when replacing these handles, some silicone above the openings is a must. My dealer has these handles in stock so that’s a sign they are failing often enough.


Don't go to the dealer to get that handle, got mine from Amazon (or maybe ebay). In any case it was a fraction of the cost of the dealer. And it was official OEM Nissan product.
_________________
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 - 116k mi
2010 Honda Odyssey EX - 125k mi
1996 Ford Ranger - 155k mi
2016 Mazda 6 iTouring - 42k mi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group