Greetings from AZ

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

Mando1705

Greetings from AZ

Postby Mando1705 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:39 am

Hello! I just bought a 2005 Pathfinder to use as a daily, so far I love it! Looking forward to learning what I can from this forum. The goal is to turn it into my adventure rig for touring The southwest both on and off road. I love a good road trip. Thankfully this one is in great shape with on 77k miles on it! Let me know what you think! Image

Krymdog

Welcome!

Postby Krymdog » Thu May 28, 2020 12:05 pm

I'm in VA, here.
The first thing I would do is check to see if the SMOD transmission cooler recall was done.
Then whether it was or wasn't, would be to install a separate transmission cooler.

Other than that....
77k....
Dang.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu May 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Looks like in fantastic shape for an 05! Great choice!

Check out our offroad pics forum for folks using pathfinders in the southwest:
viewforum.php?f=3

Also since you have an '05.. I strongly advise you to either put in a new radiator or at least reroute your hoses that goe from the tranny into the radiators heat exhcnager and loop them back into the tranny.
This is called abypass.

The issue is these radiators especially in the early R51s can leak coolant into the tranny.
These transmission are other wise strong and long lasting.. so it' would be a shame to lose one for such a trivial reason.
There are threads on this in the R51 powertrain forum that explain it all in detail
viewforum.php?f=34

Mando1705

Re: Welcome!

Postby Mando1705 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Krymdog wrote:I'm in VA, here.
The first thing I would do is check to see if the SMOD transmission cooler recall was done.
Then whether it was or wasn't, would be to install a separate transmission cooler.

Other than that....
77k....
Dang.
Definitely going to looking into that, as well as my oil pressure sending unit. As of now those are my only concerns, but I am ignorant when it comes to Nissans so if thier are any other issues I should look out for please let me know.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Welcome!

Postby palmerwmd » Thu May 28, 2020 12:52 pm

Mando1705 wrote:
Krymdog wrote:I'm in VA, here.

Other than that....
77k....
Dang.
Definitely going to looking into that, as well as my oil pressure sending unit. As of now those are my only concerns, but I am ignorant when it comes to Nissans so if thier are any other issues I should look out for please let me know.
These are actually very reliable vehicles.
The engines are noticeably stronger than in equivalent Toyotas.
Seats are better too. only the switchgear (inside buttons) is better in the 4Runners.

What issues they have were also common among MB and Toyotas or similar vintage.

I understand (some, not all, or even most) had a timing chain guide machined by a worn out machine and they will develop a whine..

I have owned 3 vehicles with this exact power train (this engine with this transmission) and F body Nissan platform.
1 Silver Edition Pathfinder and two 2nd Gen Xterras.
None of them devloped a timing chian whine.. but it is a thing..
But even when its starts, its never a must-do-now-or-else kind of thing.

The XTerra was an 05 supposedly the most risky MY of them all (first year of production) and had no powertrain issues at all of any kind except eventually worn down springs in the rear (easy fix just did a add a leaf) and I ran that decade and a half truck hard and all it needed was some TLC for the suspension.

Sold it to a buddy who is happy as a clam with it.

Still When I got the 05 Xterra I told the dealer I wont pick it up w/o a new radiator in it.
I covered the part and he covered the labor.

So in summary the only thing that is a right-away-must-do is to make sure your tranny is safe from coolant mixing.

As a decade and a half truck that will see use in the US southwest deserts in summer a new radiator is probably a good idea regardless, even w/o this looming concern.

Just to prevent heartbreak I would do it soonest, its the only thing on these trucks that usually needs immediate TLC.

In a pinch people have reported good results with just the bypass too... and thats is essentially free just a bit of your time

Here is the most detailed discussion on this subject we have (if memory serves it includes instructions how to do the bypass yourself)
viewtopic.php?t=2139&highlight=bypass

and here is a recent follow up with another new owner:
viewtopic.php?t=17198&start=15&postdays ... highlight=

Mando1705

Postby Mando1705 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:20 am

Than you for all the info! I will be working the bypass ASAP. I did check and the recall was done but either way I will be changing the radiator for piece of mind.

If you want something done right you got to do it yourself...

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Mando1705 wrote:Than you for all the info! I will be working the bypass ASAP. I did check and the recall was done but either way I will be changing the radiator for piece of mind.

If you want something done right you got to do it yourself...
Are you saying the rad has been replaced before?
Whats the part number sticker say on the right on top of the rad?

My part number says 21460-9CAOE, a known good part.
If yours has been replaced by previous owner (most arent but its possible) you may not need to.
The list of radiator parts numbers is here on first page of this thread
(the link I gave u in my original post would send u to page 2 for some reason)

viewtopic.php?t=17198&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Mando1705

Re: Greetings from AZ

Postby Mando1705 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am

My radiator had not been swapped. But I finally for it swapped out last night! I think I am ready to go. Now hopefully I can start on the fun upgrades.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am

Mando1705 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am
My radiator had not been swapped. But I finally for it swapped out last night! I think I am ready to go. Now hopefully I can start on the fun upgrades.
Awesome!!!! :D

Now you are ready for summertime exercise!
Do you have any maintenance records to find whats next?

BTW in Europe these engines are speced for 5w-40 oils year around, or 10w-40 in summer.
Have you done any oil changes yet?
I imagine in the southwest in summer that normal US speced, 5w-30 might be a tad thin..

Mando1705

Postby Mando1705 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 am

My dad did one before I picked it up from him, I'll double check what he used. He bought it from the original owner and then we swapped vehicles.

Thanks for the heads up! It is hot out here already.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 am

In the US they are speced 5w-30.. was never sure why.
I am running 5w-40 in mine right now since its summertime and i drive hard.. but its not nearly as hot here (Europe) as in the southwest US

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 am

Welcome from Prescott! :D

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”