Shitty heating on 2.5 diesel engine?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

labsy

Shitty heating on 2.5 diesel engine?

Postby labsy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:19 am

Hi,

I have 2006 Pathy with 2.5 dCi engine (EU model) and I am very disappointed with cabin heating. I know diesel engines took longer to warm up, but this car is unbelievably cold...I think by default.

I've checked thermostat and it's in nice working order. Opens at predefined temp, closes when cold, so it's perfectly normal.
Fluid levels are at prescribed limits.

But still, it takes some 8 miles for cabin heating to start blowing warm air, and even during long trips of 1-2 hours, it does not get ridiculously warm; maybe just nice hot, but not warm, despite of MAX settings on A/C.

I guess it's poor engine not generating enough heat to warm up the huge cabin...so it's by default.

Anybody done any improvements so far?

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:14 am

I use to have this same problem in my diesel work truck in colder months. The simple solution is to the place something over the front of the radiator - I just used a piece of cardboard and covered about 1/2 the radiator - and it will warm up quicker and hold it's heat. I never had any overheating issues but watch your temp gauge and adjust your cover for airflow if it gets too warm, if you go this route.
I don't know if there is a grill cover designed for the Pathfinder but you can see a lot of 18 wheelers running them in the winter just for this reason.

Return to “R51 General Chat”