Runs hot at idle

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dagall

Runs hot at idle

Postby dagall » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:07 am

I have noticed that if I idle for a long period of time the temp gauge shoots up and cuts off a/c and close to stalling. It did stall on me a few months ago and was a bear to restart. That was in the evening while waiting for a car wash. If I am sitting at a traffic light, it doesn't seem to do that. Only for a long time frame. Radiator is by-passed. A/c fan runs constantly and I don't hear any loud noise coming from the fan, only at start up. Thoughts?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am

have you checked your coolant level?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:06 pm

disallow wrote:have you checked your coolant level?
yep, check coolant level in both radiator and recovery/surge reservoir
also, even if the levels look OK, there may be air pockets trapped in the cooling system
if so, "burp" the system
:)

dagall

Postby dagall » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:40 pm

I will do that. It is one thing I actually didn't check.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:57 pm

A bad fan clutch or restricted airflow through the AC condenser and radiator cores will also do this (check for leaves between the cores or bent fins on the core).

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:16 pm

About a year ago my 06-V6 Toyota 4Runners radiator sprung a little leak with 170,000 miles on it at that time so no big deal new radiator. When I took the old one out I noticed the inside area that was covered with shrouding was totally plugged up with leaves, bugs, dirt, and what ever ells the road had to offer. I never knew it was so plugged up. I don't know how many miles on your PF but maybe it's time for a new radiator.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:05 am

Stuff I've had issues with:

- Plugged radiator (very subtle overheating, replaced by Nissan under the extended radiator warranty)

- Low coolant (under filled by Nissan, reservoir appears full due to European-style system...overheated on climbs or when truck was pointing uphill with coolant shifted back out of the radiator)

- Unplugged electric aux fan (I forgot to plug mine in after replacing the mechanical fan clutch...noticed the truck was overheating at idle on a hot day and the aux fan wasn't kicking in.)

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:58 pm

You can also hit your rads with some home hvac radiator foaming cleaner and let it sit for 5 to 10 min (the outside of the rads) brush very carefully with a wire brush and power wash the rads to get the gunk out of the fins. Instantly my ac performed better and my engine temp leveled out. Also ditto to checking coolant levels and perhaps a coolant flush?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”