Looking at a 2008 Pathfinder! Questions

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Firefighter3244

Looking at a 2008 Pathfinder! Questions

Postby Firefighter3244 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Hello, So my wife and I are looking at a 2008 Pathfinder for her this week.
I've been doing a few hours of research this morning on the board before posting this so I had an idea
and start learning since this is our first Nissan.

She is wanting to upgrade from her Chevy Cobalt finally wanting an suv.
I like the Armada, but she doesn't want something that large. I'm fine with that, maybe I'll get one.
I have an 02 explorer I'm alright with right now.

So, Anything we need to know?
Aside from that anything major I need to be concerned about.
From my research the radiator and transmission were upgraded on the rd51 and those are no longer an issue correct?
I saw the clock recal for the 2008's.

Details
2008 Pathfinder SE
White Exterior
Charcoal Interior, Had cloth owner installed leather last year.
2WD (Preferred for her vehicle, she doesn't need 4wd and it's less parts to possible have issues with)
v6. Thats fine once again
104,000 Miles
towing package, etc....
Suppose to be clean, I'll have photos tonight and we're test driving it this week
Price: Asking $11,500. I think $10,000 is more appropriate. Correct me if im wrong.

I'm ready to be a part of this forum and contribute, If we purchase this I'll do a how to write up on retrofitting Lexus RX350 Bi-Xenon Projectors into the headlights since that's my plan already! lol :chuckle:

Photos, New tires a plus. Looks like have lcd screen.

I'm really liking it so far. :D

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Ah, car shopping. I think you'll like it.

The radiators weren't updated until 2010, I believe. If it's the original, I would plan on swapping it or doing the bypass (I'm not a fan of the bypass method, personally). Not a huge expense if you get an aftermarket radiator.

Aside from the usual stuff, listen for the timing chain (a whining coming from the engine), make sure 4WD engages and disengages smoothly (if it has 4WD) and that there's no clunking when you put it in gear. Some drivetrain slop is normal on these.

Some other things I've encountered are seized suspension components that have to be cut and replaced in order to align the truck properly, failed rear hatch shocks and a faulty rear hatch cinch motor ('08 and '09 only). Again, the latter two aren't huge expenses.

Keep in mind that pricing depends on your location, of course, but here's my opinion: If it has 4WD (I can't tell if that's a 4WD switch or a blank in the photos), $10K is a fair price, provided the seller has taken good care of the truck. If it's 2WD, I would aim for more the $8,500-9,000 range, especially with those nasty headlights. Once they get that bad, the home polishing kit won't quite get them back to clear.

Good luck!

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Sorry, just read in your post that it's 2WD. Just ignore my 4WD comments.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:45 pm

If your headlights are that bad, hit them with a sander and fine grit, then finish them off with some UV resistant clear coat. They'll be good as new, and last even longer.

Firefighter3244

Postby Firefighter3244 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

I was just informed it does NOT have a sunroof, and that is a deal breaker for my wife and I.

Having two vehicles currently with no sunroof, and having them before these cars our next needs to have one.

So, it appears the search continues. Not going to be easy.
Requirements, 2008+ Prefered. Dark Leather intr, Sunroof. Under 130k miles.
Just those requirements seems to be hard to find. I would actually rather not have the lcd screen. So we can swap in a new unit with nav etc...

Firefighter3244

Postby Firefighter3244 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:57 pm

I did find this but it was 158k miles, Kinda higher than I was really wanting.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/4950577022.html

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:53 pm

I may be wrong, but I am not entirely sure the moon roof was available on the 2WD versions.

http://www.cars.com/nissan/pathfinder/2 ... equipment/

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:11 pm

Options were the same between 4wd or 2wd. I'm not sure about prior to '08 but OP is looking for an '08+ and in '08/'09 for sure the moonroof was in a package only available on SE. It included the moonroof, auto headlamps, homelink, and BOSE. The LE included all of that.

It wasn't an overly common package so you may have to hunt around or buy an LE. And SE with the factory leather package is even more rare. I specifically bought mine because I could get most all the options but without leather.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 pm

skinny2 wrote:Options were the same between 4wd or 2wd. I'm not sure about prior to '08 but OP is looking for an '08+ and in '08/'09 for sure the moonroof was in a package only available on SE. It included the moonroof, auto headlamps, homelink, and BOSE. The LE included all of that.

It wasn't an overly common package so you may have to hunt around or buy an LE. And SE with the factory leather package is even more rare. I specifically bought mine because I could get most all the options but without leather.
It was part of the Premium package. It was a pretty common option when I was purchasing. The biggest problem I see with the used market is the supply. Since midsize body-on-frame SUV's are hardly being produced anymore, I have not seen very many for sale.

Also, beware when someone says it has the towing package. There is no towing package that I am aware of. Everything towing related was standard equipment.

Firefighter3244

Postby Firefighter3244 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:10 pm

^^ Interesting because nada and kbb give towing package as an option for value determination.

Alright, I think we found it!

Here it is.

2005 PATHFINDER LE
150k miles, ONE OWNER, Maintenance records of it's entire life
Timing Belt, Water pump and all done at 110k miles
Very clean, Which I'm huge on because it shows amount of care taken during its life.

$8,500 is asking price.
Options are 8 cylinder engine, automatic transmission, cruise, tilt, 3rd row, heated leather, sunroof, keyless entry, steering wheel controls, fog lights, roof rack, tow package, new michelin tires, power windows, seats, mirrors, door locks, Bose premium sound system, front and rear heating and a/c, 150k miles.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Two problems here...the V8 wasn't an option until 2008 and there's no timing belt. Although they could have changed the timing chain as those had issues.

Have you seen this vehicle? I'm guessing it's for sale by a dealer given the pics and lack of plates so the V8 comment could just be typical dealer ignorance.

I would make sure you have your mechanic look it over good regardless.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Nice! The price is fair, if not cheaper. I bought my 2005 LE, almost same as yours with less mileage (119k) for $10,000 here in CA. Although mine had brand new chunky A/T tires installed when I got it.

Anyways, do the bypass now for a peace of mind (if its the stock rad). I've read somewhere that the radiator/transmission problem WILL HAPPEN eventually. It's fairly easy to do if you have the right tools. In my case, I had to pay someone to do it.

Enjoy your pathfinder!

EDIT: I missed that one. That's a V6, V8's were introduced to 08 models and up. Skinny2 is right, if you can, bring a mechanic along if you can to inspect the vehicle.

Firefighter3244

Postby Firefighter3244 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:43 pm

He's out of state and I don't think he's a dealer because he wouldn't take a cashiers check. He said cash only and that it's been his pathfinder since brand new.

I'll call and try to find out more about it.

Appreciate it.

Edit:

I can assume these are scams... lol
http://auburn.craigslist.org/cto/4912957643.html
http://auburn.craigslist.org/cto/4945400894.html

Its either that silver pathfinder or a 2006 Lexus GX470 we're looking at.

[/img]

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Firefighter3244 wrote:^^ Interesting because nada and kbb give towing package as an option for value determination.
I've seen that too. Be sure not to check it when figuring the value. :D

This new one looks extremely clean. The pics aren't super close up, but the leather almost looks too good. Was it re-upholstered? Usually the leather has more creases after 10 years.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:40 am

Technically all North American pathfinders come with the towing package which includes the 2" hitch receiver and extra oil cooler.

Return to “R51 General Chat”