engine problems

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kny48

engine problems

Postby kny48 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:04 pm

So i replaced secondary timing chains and tensioners and replaced primary chain tensioner.. primary chain and guides look fine i didnt replace them.. well after all that the engine still sounds like the chains are bad.. what to do now? I also have a ticking noise coming from the back of my intake manifold..at lost need help

daytona675

Postby daytona675 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 pm

What kind of noises are you hearing now? is it at a specific RPM? the secondary tensioners usually 'whine' at all RPM, but pitch goes up with eng rpm. Mine has a rattling noise that comes in around 2200 under light/moderate accel, that drops off around 26-2800. If that's what you are hearing, it could be the power valve in the intake. there's a TSB for it, says it only affects 2005's but other folks have experienced it (like me)

kny48

Postby kny48 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:32 pm

I still hear the same noise i did before i replaced the secondary chains and tensioner.. i can hear the chains at all rpms and does go away at higher rpms probably because the engine is rotating faster.. sounds very light at idle and louder as i step on the gas.. the only things left to replace is the primary chain and tensioner guides... when i replaced the secondary tensioners they old ones were worn out and the old chains were longer then the new ones as well...

As for the ticking noise coming from the left side of the intake manifold.. i can hear the tick at idle and and light throttle. . I saw a you tube post about it and was going to take it out and clean it and see what happens..

Thanks for the reply i appreciate it

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”