Buying a 2006 Pathy SE with 99k miles

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

buyinganewone

Buying a 2006 Pathy SE with 99k miles

Postby buyinganewone » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:59 am

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a 2006 4x4 SE this week with 99k miles on it. It's had a new radiator put in it (preventative a few years ago). The owner also had a new drive shaft put on it at one point and has new rear struts on it.

My question is, what all should I be aware of for it? I plan on just going ahead and doing the tranny bypass right away to be safe. I didn't hear any whine noise when I drove it, but I was honestly not paying that close attention as far as the timing chain. Reading these forums has made me a little nervous about buying it, but it seems well maintained and drove well when I went to see it.

I'm going to be buying it for just under $9000 which I feel like is a good deal considering how well it has been taken care of mechanically.

Thoughts, tips, anything is welcome I just want to get some opinions on the 2006 year and if it seems like a decent deal.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:20 pm

You probably don't need to worry about bypassing if it has an updated radiator. Timing chain would typically only whine on a cold start from what I understand. '05-'06 models seem to be more problematic which makes sense given they're the first couple years of that gen. The newer you get the more solid they are.

Price doesn't seem too bad. I've been thinking about selling mine and don't think I'd let it go for much less than $9k and it has quite a few more miles. But like you say, maintenance history and condition are really what drives the value on vehicles of this age.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:09 pm

To me it sounds like you have your based covered. You'll know if you have the timing chain noise (do a youtube search for Nissan 4.0 timing chain noise). I honestly cant be happier with my 06. Other then mine having the contamination in the tranny about 1 week after buying it that has been the only problem. The dealer I bought it from actually helped me pay for the new tranny. The MPG is decent for a 4x4 SUV and it is very comfortable to drive. Driving on the highway I easily get about 20-21 MPG and in town its more around 15MPG. I have driven my pathfinder through ice, snow, and mud with awesome results. I think you would be making a good purchase. Before I purchased mine I was worried I wouldnt like it because I have never owned a Nissan before. I have always been a huge Dodge fan and originally wanted a Durango. My family and I are glad we went with the Nissan Pathfinder instead.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:10 pm

You shouldn't have to do the bypass if it was replaced. Aftermarket rads haven't had any issues with the coolers and the Nissan rads were updated around 2010-2011. Timing chain issues don't affect all of the R51's; it's pretty much hit or miss, depending on how will the upper chain links were stamped when they were made.
If it doesn't have them already, install a set of Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear; it'll be the best $75 you can spend on your Pathy!
Also, check the cabin air filter behind the glove box; these often go overlooked. Anything else, fix as needed. You might also want to do a search for any open recalls/campaigns. Nissan's site has an area where you can type in your VIN and it will search for you, or you can call your local dealer or Nissan's customer hotline (1-800-NISSAN-1) and they can search for you.

Return to “R51 General Chat”