Tool Kit

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

R51guy

Tool Kit

Postby R51guy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Hey guys,

I'd like some advice compiling a basic tool kit to work on my recently purchased 2006 Pathfinder LE 4x4. Needless to say I really like the car and would like to understand her. First I'd like to say that I know next to nothing about cars and the tools used to work on them. Didn't even know what a ratchet and bit sizes were. Still don't know what sizes to use for what. But I guess I'll learn that on my path :lol:. For now I'd just like some advice on a simple tool kit to do certain jobs in my DIY list. I guess I'm partial to Craftsman because I've heard decent things about them and I live close to about a dozen Sears stores. I have been looking at the sets with 75 tooth ratchet. So if you guys could help me out on exactly what tools, sockets, and size combination etc... I need to do for the following jobs it would be greatly appreciated. Any and all advice and input will be welcomed and greatly appreciated, thanks.

DIY List
Oil change
Tire change
Coolant fluid change
Transmission fluid change
Brake change
x Spark plugs (I wanted to do this but I read on here somewhere that it required a little more skill than I possess lol)

Kael2001

Re: Tool Kit

Postby Kael2001 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:33 am

R51guy wrote:DIY List
Oil change
Tire change
Coolant fluid change
Brake change
x Spark plugs (I wanted to do this but I read on here somewhere that it required a little more skill than I possess lol)
Tools I have to do the above -
Oil drain pan
Filter wrench/Tool
Gloves
Torque Wrench - 35nm + EDIT 20nm +
Socket set - 6 - 19mm
Combination spanner set 6 - 19mm
Spark plug tool
Screwdriver set - flat head and Philips
Jack stands - 2 tonne should do
Brake bleeder wrench (flared wrench)
Funnel - long reach
Funnel - wide base (for coolant burping)
Last edited by Kael2001 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kael2001

Postby Kael2001 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:48 am

Oh and for the wheels you probably want to pick up a 21mm "deep socket" for the wheel nuts, to be torques back right.

With regards to ratchet teeth, a socket ratchets in the opposing direction to force, so the higher the ratchet teeth the less distance is moves backwards before ratcheting.
Also sockets come in a variety of 'square drive' sizes according to the base handle, make sure you pick up either all the same size (even for the torque wrench) or an adapter set
If you are just starting out, I'd buy a mid priced mechanics tool set (metric) and just pick everything else up as and when you need it.

R51guy

Postby R51guy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:30 am

Kael2001 wrote:
R51guy wrote:DIY List
Oil change
Tire change
Coolant fluid change
Brake change
Tools I have to do the above -
Oil drain pan
Filter wrench/Tool
Gloves
Torque Wrench - 35nm +
Socket set - 6 - 19mm
Combination spanner set 6 - 19mm
Spark plug tool
Screwdriver set - flat head and Philips
Jack stands - 2 tonne should do
Brake bleeder wrench (flared wrench)
Funnel - long reach
Funnel - wide base (for coolant burping)
Hey kael, I appreciate the list. Could you link me a example of a torque wrench that will work? I noticed they come in different sizes. Also, will that work on smaller nuts I'll come across, for example the bleeder?

brake bleeder wrench...I've seen people use a combination spanner (I think that's what you call it). Is there a apecific reason you recommended that?

Kael2001

Postby Kael2001 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 am

R51guy wrote: Hey kael, I appreciate the list. Could you link me a example of a torque wrench that will work? I noticed they come in different sizes. Also, will that work on smaller nuts I'll come across, for example the bleeder?

brake bleeder wrench...I've seen people use a combination spanner (I think that's what you call it). Is there a apecific reason you recommended that?
Tbh I bought the best torque wrench I could afford, but cheap ones will do the job of more expensive ones if used right.
I don't have a lower value torque wrench as they are mostly hand tight figures and the low torque specs are less important than the big ones. (Also I have a drill driver that has 0- 20 nm torque settings)

The flared spanner for the brakes has a hole just big enough for the brake line but still gives full grip on the nut, as the last thing you want to do is round it off. (And it's not that expensive and you only need 1)

R51guy

Postby R51guy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:43 am

Gotcha...bigger torque wrench for the wheels, and a smaller one for the small ones. I'll be sure to grab that bleeder wrench too, thanks man.

Kael2001

Postby Kael2001 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:02 pm

R51guy wrote:Gotcha...bigger torque wrench for the wheels, and a smaller one for the small ones. I'll be sure to grab that bleeder wrench too, thanks man.
Yep yep, my 'large'/ only toque wrench goes 20nm - 210nm so does everything but the small stuff.

Return to “R51 General Chat”