The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Timing Belt Rattle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirandb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Timing Belt Rattle Reply with quote

Hi Again,
I heard a rattle sound from my 06 pathfinder when i start the vehicle in the morning. The noise eases out once the vehicle gets warmed up. i was told by a mechanic that it could be a timing belt rattle. just wondering what exactly is this and what is the fix for it ? How will it harm the drivability if not treated.

Thanks,
kiran
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for starters, you don't have a timing "belt," but, three timing chains: one primary and two upper, or "secondary," chains. It "could" be a chain rattle, but, without hearing the noise for oneself, it's impossible to say. The timing chains connect the crankshaft to the camshafts, which operate the valve train. The typical timing chain problem on these vehicles results in a "whining" noise. I think a bit more diagnostics needs to take place before discussing what the "fix" is.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
kirandb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. you are right about the timing chain. i was looking at possible issue of this rattle and one of the fix mentioned was a timing tensioner replacement. the noise is loud when you start it in cold and eases when it gets hot within a minute but doesn't die down. not sure what is the possible damage it can cause as long as it doesn't give a major breakdown.
08PathPounder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles are on your Pathy?

Mine does what your describing. It's gotta be the chain or chains causing the noise. Ive listened a few mornings and have come to a conclusion that it's most likely the chain being loose at cold startup and becoming tighter once at temp. The ONLY time mine does this is the very first cold morning start. I'll try and figure out how to post a video.
Kestral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2012 will do the same thing especially when it's below zero out. Some say to try different oil filter brands and some say to try different oil? Frankly it just seems to be the nature of the V6 and it does not seem to effect the longevity.
labsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a very long screwdriver or a long metal rod on wooden handle to pinpoint rattle source. For example, with metal part of loooong screwdriver touch the alternator and lean your ear on the handle. You will hear the noise the inner parts of alternator produce very clearly.
So you can (carefully, not to touch the fan blades!!!) go from component to component and listen where the rattle is coming from.

This is old school diagnosing of, for example, bad bearings.
Gottcha86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD
[/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/JHZMasZrxXujt2LVy8cvaxvO9-tOtaSuepxw88r7t9Q2KW55_0ViUfwbWvNvB9xDdWhC23OM7jNJIl3JPZkKQFqRLMW88i7Mrsjjz_ZiMULFVm_LpoIAnZ7sRdPA3epApPj51VTyt7B1wAls0l52gWKGJuh4Y3T_WAdZTeZ04SJbo0YUFU-Z9LK88BnSVy0DiS6vmImTI-nl2BoPym0HLqJUYffMPtHiz3agsO0kudgjVZmWTJJR-EAMvYDOcTc3253w4qiLldiHaHC6tSjJ0o2MHk8qqRW3Sa4wiHiiTeIMB8aTXj0kiOpcYBaYq4b43hnTyTeZZuVeJcxrQG5QYBLpcU0bIAkOIBfJ5ELBae8RHigWGu_9wljo1_dUUaD6RQioyOrtsExyYiBu8u6n1ZfF65f7-bO-OdmzM7PkTnxNChzAQvJTZZ-OfWPTn06wEeHNvfLIfW1FWbw0IMhCePwWV83IFtyq_ZwWMnk5_8B1So2ZklOqCP6_EFHwXup5tbBouXXsI1kLdFiYS4S4xUM1E-OnEgNfbmW2pvmSH1VvZZh-DCq0IrJX9dIKQrO02fq2tNrJ7JLbg0vWmbjbnQAnveAxlQRMWAAhTFKC122lRdf5vujeWQ=w1636-h920-no

NEW

[/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9j-YZQ9Tyawqhi25EZfRrmFWHagRLbWttqJNRWlEMCAgOEI8ilF-y3Kd5SrtdCX-OdnrBhoEHcLhD68586G4Kq4o1ig1QjU9MxErwZQuh8ueAJBWNnH_03zj3iyAdAdf9cfFYfXvm2nxri1BZZqsv0ZE4ww7IFoytWi7qOMbj_oSLzp9QfmlYbKpS9xBF8eeaX3CwehSh6smxpkMf5bBGUquFvD56croP1ghdsY3JB4kXTpS0Ac_DJY7wOnv9kV6-t1RLkvmN6zAfHp7IAfaHzlnzFONg0QxKBSreCQ94bJRCJW9_2wfBxxoezCCM73ORCWN8UhlZgnHkOpnEDbIkoR_sPBin4tCCVflRCx-uWLAJQLmVReTdE6gykpzOH569kuhAdfOhLPrgKtLfcfom5YMkha6CbWhbVsIly7wN6uQhoJPaXNq32-RX7Mnm1zZq1fSLQxg6wZLMQMQayXBBroqJtfSlM5fqlZDQu7Diz_gn47hkHuVlni0uzcM9febCvK-ZflsnuAQOt2lVZvDMcjbG9gIBJINR-zx_YxAc6v4BDilsWrDp7TyfB3_yVx5P3KB6vAdH5gUZ0B_1l26HPVZ4pHpi1nsBT4iGm1xtbJsw_IVCQ=w1636-h920-no

165,000 miles on my and it didn't sound extremely bad but as you can see it was getting there.
Boltonbene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Have the Same issue Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue with my 05 Path. Replaced the oil and did an engine clean. Dumped oil conditioner. Thinking it was the lifters.
Called a mechanic friend that said it was the timing chain that may have expanded and rubbing against the rails. Sounds logical. But would be +$2K.

No power loss. Sound decreases at higher revs. Gone at 100kph (60mph).

Posted a YouTube video.
https://youtu.be/1Nc3g-6-Cuc

Any suggestions would be great.

BB
DirtDgr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had my timing chains and guides replaced a month ago. Mine actually made a ticking noise.. 130,000 miles. 05. They were toast! Gone!

It appears the timing chain tensioners or guides ride on the inside of the chain on this engine where most ride on the outside. So you have the rough part of the chain up against the plastic. Very bad idea and no way to change it.

Engine is WAY quieter now overall too.

New guy at front desk says he used to work at a Nissan dealer. Said this is common at 100,000+ there.

But in fairness I did let my oil get low and that is how I noticed it more. I had a bad o-ring that was leaking pretty bad and didn't keep up with it. Fixed that.

But it is not an if with this car, its just a matter of time and miles.

Fix is around $2G! Took two weeks in the shop waiting on parts. So may want to plan for that while its still drivable. Mine got loud enough I was afraid to drive it.
DirtDgr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a few pics I took of the worn ones

smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's been wearing away for a very long time.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Kestral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Can I buy them for spare?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: