AEM drop-in dry-flow air filter vs stock replacement

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

underworld1001

AEM drop-in dry-flow air filter vs stock replacement

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm

So I decided to spend about $40 and get a AEM dry-flow air filter. I used to have something similar on my 2008 Tacoma V6 (aFe Dry Flow), and it performed with good results. I'm not a fan of the oil based air filters so given the option, I'll go for dry flow.

I decided to perform my super scientific test by driving around with both and then hauling ass with both. Changed the air filters in a nearby parking lot. Note I didn't reset the battery to allow for computer adjustment (not sure if it was needed in this case).

Results were pretty much the identical as the aFe I used to have. Acceleration and power delivery was smoother. I'm sure there's a HP increase somewhere, but it's more than likely at upper RPM's. Regardless, the smoothness factor was worth it. Plus I don't have to buy paper air filters again. Cost/benefit ratio is pretty good in my opinion.

Came with a free AEM sticker as well. Worth at least 20+ HP, but I haven't put it on yet.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:41 pm

aFe makes good products; I have an aFe Momentum CAI system with a dry filter on my '06 Pathy. It's a better design than the Volant system, IMO, butt it is expensive (around $450). The ECM self-learning will eventually adjust to the new filter, if any adjustment is needed.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Yeah I liked the aFe in my Tacoma. The truck felt sluggish, but the filter really smoothed out the initial acceleration. If I was looking for a CAI for the Pathy I'd def go for the aFe. Only reason I bought the drop in was cause I needed a new air filter and the AEM looked good for the price. Trying to save cash and all for the new year.

By the way, I was going to do a video with before/after the filter, but decided not to. I will probably make one with the IMS I recently bought from XTP though I'll create a new thread for that one.

Swerve

Postby Swerve » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Still happy with the AEM drop in filter? I’m on the fence between paper again or a step up to this dry filter.

I’ve done K&N before in previous cars but not a big fan of oiling the filters.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:48 am

I've just recently replaced it with a disposable filter, specifically Fram XGA7440. I usually go with WIX, but there was none available where I bought it (Wal-Mart). I was happy with the AEM when it was new, but as the filter was used and washed multiple times since I've had it, I noticed the vehicle becoming not as responsive. I also noticed a reoccurring error code relating to the MAF sensor appear occasionally.

So I just replaced it with that Fram mentioned above and so far so good. I seem to have a little regained power according to my butt-dyno where I was actually expecting the power stay the same or drop a little since the new filter isn't high flow. To my surprise this wasn't the case so I would say the power gain wasn't a placebo effect as far as thinking goes. I'm assuming the cleaning of the AEM filter possibly not being sufficient in my case the times I did it. I cleared the MAF code and it's come back so I'll look into that. Hate to buy another MAF if I have to, gonna try cleaning it first.

Long story short, while the AEM was nice, I would just say to stick to a quality disposable paper filter.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”