The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Engine jerks on 87 octane gas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R52 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Engine jerks on 87 octane gas. Reply with quote

Personally, I have only R51's, but, someone I work with has a 2014 Pathfinder and asked me about it. She says when she runs on 89 or higher octane gas, the engine runs fine. But, when she runs 87 octane gas, the vehicle jerks (she's already had the transmission recall). Owner's manual says she should be able to run on 87 octane. Anyone with similar problems or know of what's causing this problem?
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Grumpah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she always buy the gas at the same place? She should run her tank almost to empty and then fill up at a Top Tier station. If the problem persists, it may be a clogged fuel filter.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't picture the fuel filter, which is part of the fuel tank module inside the gas tank, causing a drivability issue with 87 octane and not with 89 or higher octane. As far as top tier gasoline use, I don't know what she uses. However, if valve deposits were the issue, I would expect the issue to not be quickly rectified by running a tank of 89 or higher octane fuel through it. It takes time to build up valve deposits and they don't get removed quickly from the valves unless they serviced by some kind of cleaning method, be it chemical or by walnut shell blasting. Thanks for the suggestions, though!
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Kestral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister had a similar issue with her Jeep and we narrowed it down to the gas station she was buying fuel at. It seems the station has issues with water in the fuel. We ran a can of Seafoam in a tank of fuel and it took care of the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R52 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: