Negative Camber in Rear - Dealer suggestion correct?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Lebesd

Negative Camber in Rear - Dealer suggestion correct?

Postby Lebesd » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:22 am

2008 Nissan Path LE. 4x4

Recently I went to rotate my tires (they have less than 10k on in them) and noticed some extreme wear the on rear inside (they were the rear now, on the front).

After I took it to the dealer they recommend new tie rods & control arm ($1500 worth of work) to fix the issue.

I held off on the work, the dealer said nothing as my wife picked it up, and still went through with the rotation, which now the car vibrates at anything over 70 mph.

I have noticed in the past the rear tires tilted inward. After research, it is definitely a negative camber. I am a bit irritated at myself because I never looked into this, but also at the dealer, as they have seen the car since purchase 2 years ago, put new tires on, and aligned it just last year.

The question is........is their fix correct or is there some other underlying issues? Just trying to get a good idea but dumping the money to fix it. I'll try to get some pictures tonight and post them.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 pm

There are no tie rods in the rear, but that doesn't mean they can't be bad in the front. If you are unsure of the dealer's diagnosis, the best thing to do would be to get a second opinion from another shop.

Lebesd

Photos

Postby Lebesd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Below are photos of the negative camber. Anyone else's tires like this? I'll try to get some far away shots also.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Mq0f ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Mq0f ... sp=sharing[/url]

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 am

I have some negative camber in the back, but yours is significant. I don't see that much camber being caused just by bad alignment in the rear.

Is the back squatting? Worn out struts or sagged springs in the rear?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”