Completely locked out!

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

iheartmypathy

Completely locked out!

Postby iheartmypathy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:05 am

Hey all,

Long time no post. I'm SO glad that this forum is still cooking! So, my pathy has been out of commission for a few months, and I haven't had the funds to fix it, so it's been a beautiful lawn ornament for the time being. I was starting it every couple weeks and driving it around my property with no issues, but a few weeks ago I went to start it up, and it was dead. No big surprise there, so I told my hubs, and he was going to bring home some battery charger thing from work (as the last time I jumped it with my car, I almost fried all the batteries :lol: :roll: ). When we went to get into it a week or so later, the doors were locked, and when I tried to unlock with the fob, it didnt work. We then tried a different fob, and then new batteries, to no avail... but the weird part is that not even the key will open the doors now. Wtf.... I am at a loss of how to get into it now.... anyone have any idea why the key wont work to unlock the doors, and how I can remedy this?

TIA!!!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:23 am

So, the R51's only have the one lock cylinder and that's on the driver's door, a feature I hate and wish they'd put one on the passenger door, as well. If the key doesn't turn in the cylinder, you might want to get a locksmith. Perhaps it broke or a newly cut key by code might work. More likely, you can turn the key in the cylinder and it won't open. In this case, the most likely thing that happened is the rod became detached from the key cylinder, something I've had happen twice (both after body shop had worked on the door). Less likely, the door latch broke. In my case, I was able to use the remote fob to unlock the doors. In your case, since the fobs aren't working (my guess is the battery went dead for so long that it lost the fob signal memory and needs to be reprogrammed), you need to find someone that does "lockout services." Explain your problem to them. They'll have tools they'll bring with them to allow them to get a long lockout tool past the gap between the door and body so they can unlock the door using the interior lock/unlock switch. Once in, you may need to replace the vehicle battery (or at least recharge it) and reprogram the remote fobs. I would recommend removing the "extended storage" fuse, which will cut the drain from several items while the vehicle is sitting, and I would consider installing a device like "Battery Tender" that will trickle charge your battery and let the battery maintain its charge during long sits.

iheartmypathy

Postby iheartmypathy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks so much! I found a local locksmith that does lockout services!

Much appreciated!

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 am

Your post prompted me to pull the cap off the barrel on my passengers door and pop the key in, and its COMPLETLY seized !

Never checked it before, just used the fob or the intelligent buttons on the handle.

Will soak it with some freeing oil in hope it will unsieze itself.

When i bought the car last year both wing mirrors wouldnt fold in or out due to lack of use, some good oil, encouragement and use freed them up over a short time.

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:43 am

Dunno if this will help or not.....

After finding my lock was seized i sprayed WD40 into the slit where the key goes, gave a little wiggle, left it for a while, spray, wiggle, coffee, repeat...

After a while it started to free up, the alarm did go off when i opened the door.
I then pulled the cap off inside, behind the lock and again blasted away.

Ill use some silicone spray to finalise and seal out some water when im happy its good and well :-)

Worth a try for yours maybe?

Return to “R51 Electrical”