Death Roll -- Changing the problem with a solution

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

PF Flyer

Death Roll -- Changing the problem with a solution

Postby PF Flyer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 pm

So, one week into ownership I have already experienced what some of you call the "death roll" while on the highway hitting some bumps. I thought the Pathy was trying to get rid of me.

To keep it simple, I have seen many suggest Airlift 1000, some suggest Bilstein (4600), and I have seen Bilstein (5100) as well as Moog rear springs. I do not have a lift but do see the 5100 look adjustable.

Will upgrading to the Bilsteins (4600) do the trick to reduce the roll or are there a combination of parts and factors that need to be changed to solve this issue?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:29 pm

The main issue isn't so much the rear shocks, but the weak factory coil springs...but, of course, if your rear shocks are bad, it will make matters worse. Initially, people would swap out the stock rear shocks for Bilstein 4600 shocks AND install Airlift 1000 air bags. The air bags prevented the rear suspension from bottoming-out over bumps, as well as kept the rear end from sagging excessively when towing or loaded down. The Bilstein 5100 was used on those that were installing lift kits.
Later on, Moog came out with a set of stock replacement springs that were much better than the originals. The air bags were not needed with these springs, but, were/are worth keeping if one tows a trailer.

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:06 pm

smj999smj wrote:The main issue isn't so much the rear shocks, but the weak factory coil springs...but, of course, if your rear shocks are bad, it will make matters worse. Initially, people would swap out the stock rear shocks for Bilstein 4600 shocks AND install Airlift 1000 air bags. The air bags prevented the rear suspension from bottoming-out over bumps, as well as kept the rear end from sagging excessively when towing or loaded down. The Bilstein 5100 was used on those that were installing lift kits.
Later on, Moog came out with a set of stock replacement springs that were much better than the originals. The air bags were not needed with these springs, but, were/are worth keeping if one tows a trailer.
So would you suggest doing Moog springs AND Bilstein shocks or start somewhere else and start checking things off the list? I will rarely if ever really be towing anything, I more more just concerned about my everyday highway driving quality of ride.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm

If money is an issue, the springs are the cheapest and easiest to change. Start with those first. I would also change out the rear sway bar bushings. They're cheap. Goes with OEM on those. They're the same price as aftermarket. If that still doesn't get the ride to an acceptable level, then do the rear shocks.

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 am

underworld1001 wrote:If money is an issue, the springs are the cheapest and easiest to change. Start with those first. I would also change out the rear sway bar bushings. They're cheap. Goes with OEM on those. They're the same price as aftermarket. If that still doesn't get the ride to an acceptable level, then do the rear shocks.
I have Airlift on order and will be hunting down some sway bar bushings around town. I figure I will start from the cheapest possible fixes first and work my way up the list.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:18 pm

I would say the air bags are a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the coil springs. If you get involved in replacing springs, a lot of times you find bolts that have seized to the bushing sleeves, meaning they have to be cut out. Air bag kits usually run around $80 for the set. Most can install an Airlift 1000 kit in well under an hour. If the back end is really bad, I would highly suggest replacing the rear shocks, as well. If you don't want to spend the money on Bilstein shocks, just get a good monotube shock, like KYB Gas-a-just or Monroe Reflex.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:32 pm

Actually, yeah, smj is right...again. :)

The airbags are easier to install/remove. I must have reflected on my experience in which I had 1 seized shock bolt that eventually came loose. I gave up and wanted to cut it off, but my brother broke it loose after fighting it for about 20 minutes.

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:16 am

smj999smj wrote:I would say the air bags are a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the coil springs. If you get involved in replacing springs, a lot of times you find bolts that have seized to the bushing sleeves, meaning they have to be cut out. Air bag kits usually run around $80 for the set. Most can install an Airlift 1000 kit in well under an hour. If the back end is really bad, I would highly suggest replacing the rear shocks, as well. If you don't want to spend the money on Bilstein shocks, just get a good monotube shock, like KYB Gas-a-just or Monroe Reflex.
SMJ, thanks for the tips. I have Airlift showing up today as well as some sway bar bushings. I will put those in tomorrow and see how she rides after that. If still not up to snuff, will be doing some KYB gas-a-justs in the near future.

I am fairly confident the Airlift will help enough* to suit my driving needs for a while though.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm

I hope so. The bolts on the rear shocks can be a real bear to remove! I forget the exact torque spec, but it was well over 100 lb/ft! I think it was 135 or close to it?

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:12 pm

I ended up having a shop do my shocks. I broke the 1/2 drive square clean off!

The shop did my Bilsteins for around $120. They were even generous enough to put anti seize on the shock bolts as well. Most shops around me dont do that :x

Impact Wrench and heat will be your best friend if you attempt to do this job.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 am

So how does it drive now, with the new shocks? : )

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:24 am

palmerwmd wrote:So how does it drive now, with the new shocks? : )
Put the Airlift and new sway bar bushings in yesterday evening. Just went for a short drive and can already tell there is an improvement. Won't really know until I get up to highway speeds which is where I could really feel it before.

Should have a better idea tonight and tomorrow as I drive around a little more.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 pm

keep us posted

xpath

what is this death roll

Postby xpath » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm

thing that you guys are talking about?

One thing I noticed immediately when I got my Pathy was how stable it was at hwy speeds, 80-90 mph. My point of reference is the 2011 Xterra i used to have, compared to the Xterra the pathfinder rides very smooth and stable on the hwy.

But then my Odyssey feels a lot more planted and secure at high speeds, well of course it sits much lower with a much longer wheel base.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: what is this death roll

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 pm

xpath wrote:thing that you guys are talking about?

One thing I noticed immediately when I got my Pathy was how stable it was at hwy speeds, 80-90 mph. My point of reference is the 2011 Xterra i used to have, compared to the Xterra the pathfinder rides very smooth and stable on the hwy.

But then my Odyssey feels a lot more planted and secure at high speeds, well of course it sits much lower with a much longer wheel base.
I think he has (had?) a worn suspension .
I agree the Pathfinder does real well at speed. Its surprising how much better than the Xterra ( I own both)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”