The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
front upper control arm bushing noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Suspension and Steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradigm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: front upper control arm bushing noise Reply with quote

The front of the truck is making noise again. This time it sounds like a metal on metal creeking noise that happens over bumps and during braking (i.e. nose dive).

After rocking the track back and forth when parked, I determined the noise (as well as two other mechanics) to come from the front upper control arm bushings. The ball joint still looks good.

Is it advisable to replace the entire arm, or just the bushings? Is it less work to do just the bushings or the same amount of work, or perhaps more work?

I tried spraying both wd40 and then silicone on the bushings, but the noise continued.
underworld1001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes (which I may be, I'm getting creaking sounds from the front), I'd just make it easier for myself and get the arm with the ball joint. Last time I checked they weren't that much different in price with all things considered.
2011 SV V6 - BF Goodrich KO2 LT265/75 17-C, StopTech slotted rotors (934.42044), AEM DryFlow drop-in air filter (28-20286), free air box mod, Xtreme Truck Performance IMS (http://extremetruckperformance.com/?page_id=6), Bilstein 4600's (F-24-197427 / R-24-197434), Moog springs (F-81280 / R-81119 ), CSF aluminum radiator (7029)
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting the whole control arm, if the bushings or ball joint is indeed the problem. I would also get some new bolts from Nissan as there's a good chance the old ones could be seized to the bushing sleeve and will need to be cut out.
That said, before buying any parts, try this: pop the hood and locate the catch that engages the hood latch on the bottom of the hood. Take a rag with a little brake cleaner or acetone and clean off the dirt and let it dry. Take a 6-inch piece of electrical tape and wrap it tightly around the part of the catch that engages the latch. When done, close the hood and road test to see if the noise is gone. If it's not, then go ahead with the control arm replacement. A common problem on 2005 and later Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontiers is the plastic coating on the latch wears off and causes a metal-to-metal "squeak" that sounds very much like a front suspension noise.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
paradigm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smj999smj wrote:
I would recommend getting the whole control arm, if the bushings or ball joint is indeed the problem. I would also get some new bolts from Nissan as there's a good chance the old ones could be seized to the bushing sleeve and will need to be cut out.
That said, before buying any parts, try this: pop the hood and locate the catch that engages the hood latch on the bottom of the hood. Take a rag with a little brake cleaner or acetone and clean off the dirt and let it dry. Take a 6-inch piece of electrical tape and wrap it tightly around the part of the catch that engages the latch. When done, close the hood and road test to see if the noise is gone. If it's not, then go ahead with the control arm replacement. A common problem on 2005 and later Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontiers is the plastic coating on the latch wears off and causes a metal-to-metal "squeak" that sounds very much like a front suspension noise.

I ended up cleaning the hood latch catch and putting 6 inches of electrical tape around the section that strikes the latch, and cleaned the latch and put silicone on it, but the noise was definitely still there and coming from the front end.

The mechanic says the culprit is the front shocks. However the shocks are not leaking?

NYC streets are destroying this truck...
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocks and struts don't necessarily have to be leaking to be bad. That said, I can't tell you without working on it myself whether that's the problem or not. I'm originally from NJ and used to drive a tractor trailer in and through NYC, so I know what you're talking about!
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Suspension and Steering All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: