Time for tune-up. Tips?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

Time for tune-up. Tips?

Postby Zen_master » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:49 am

The odometer on the V8 R51 is approaching the point where a tune-up is recommended by the factory. Curious if anyone has any hacks that make the job easier to do and any recommendations on plugs/wires, etc.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Stick with the OE spark plugs, NGK # 93759. It's coil on plug, so there are no wires to replace. There is no fuel filter to replace (it's part of the fuel pump module in the tank). That leaves the engine air filter and cabin air filter and coolant. For the coolant, Pentosin makes the "genuine Nissan" coolant and can usually be found at Autozone, Rockauto.com and other online sources. If you have green coolant, it's Pentosin Pentafrost A2 (which needs to be mixed with distilled water). But, more likely, you'll have blue coolant, which is Pentosin Pentafrost A3 (which comes pre-mixed, so no need to add water). Drain and fill usually takes 2-gallons of coolant. If you are servicing the transmission fluid or transfer case fluid, Valvoline MaxLife Full-synthetic ATF works great and can be found at Walmart for $18/gallon jug (a typical transmission drain and fill is about 1-gallon).

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 am

smj999smj wrote:Stick with the OE spark plugs, NGK # 93759. It's coil on plug, so there are no wires to replace. There is no fuel filter to replace (it's part of the fuel pump module in the tank). That leaves the engine air filter and cabin air filter and coolant. For the coolant, Pentosin makes the "genuine Nissan" coolant and can usually be found at Autozone, Rockauto.com and other online sources. If you have green coolant, it's Pentosin Pentafrost A2 (which needs to be mixed with distilled water). But, more likely, you'll have blue coolant, which is Pentosin Pentafrost A3 (which comes pre-mixed, so no need to add water). Drain and fill usually takes 2-gallons of coolant. If you are servicing the transmission fluid or transfer case fluid, Valvoline MaxLife Full-synthetic ATF works great and can be found at Walmart for $18/gallon jug (a typical transmission drain and fill is about 1-gallon).
Thanks. Found the below for the plugs. Doesn't sound impossible.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... =sparkplug

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Had favorable weather and a few spare hours this morning so tackled the spark plug change. Local AutoZone suggested NGK Iridium IX (LFR5AIX-11). A side-by-side comparison with the old plugs yielded they were a very close match to stock fitment. Lucked out and stumbled into a $2/plug rebate turning an $80 purchase into 25% off.

With nothing more than a ratchet, ratchet extension, a wobble joint, a 5/8 plug socket and a 10mm socket this job was fairly easy.

Watched a couple YouTube tutorials in advance. All proceeded to remove all the coil packs, then all the old plugs, etc. I opted to remove the old and install the new one at a time in case I hit a snag then I would still have a drivable vehicle. Took about two hours thanks to an interruption from the neighbor walking over to chat. Driver side much easier than passenger side but even passenger side not a bear. Just tough getting to the furthest (rear) plug with various coolant/heater coil line in the way and getting leverage to break it free. Applied a small amount of anti seize upon reinstall for future changes, if they ever occur.

Definitely recommend doing this job yourself as opposed to paying shop labor.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Zen_master wrote:Had favorable weather and a few spare hours this morning so tackled the spark plug change. Local AutoZone suggested NGK Iridium IX (LFR5AIX-11). A side-by-side comparison with the old plugs yielded they were a very close match to stock fitment. Lucked out and stumbled into a $2/plug rebate turning an $80 purchase into 25% off.

With nothing more than a ratchet, ratchet extension, a wobble joint, a 5/8 plug socket and a 10mm socket this job was fairly easy.

Watched a couple YouTube tutorials in advance. All proceeded to remove all the coil packs, then all the old plugs, etc. I opted to remove the old and install the new one at a time in case I hit a snag then I would still have a drivable vehicle. Took about two hours thanks to an interruption from the neighbor walking over to chat. Driver side much easier than passenger side but even passenger side not a bear. Just tough getting to the furthest (rear) plug with various coolant/heater coil line in the way and getting leverage to break it free. Applied a small amount of anti seize upon reinstall for future changes, if they ever occur.

Definitely recommend doing this job yourself as opposed to paying shop labor.
The Iridium IX is what Nissan offers in their "Value Line" spark plugs for the VQ40DE. It's a good plug and will work just fine, however their service life is around 60-70,000 miles.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:04 pm

I just upgraded to the platinum NGKs im a V6 but burned up the Iridiums less then 30k ( only 1$-2$ more for Platinum)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:44 pm

I recently picked up a set of NGK # 96355 Ruthenium HX spark plugs for my 06 Pathy. They are supposed to be their "latest and greatest," but I haven't installed them, yet. They run about $8/plug from Rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/genImages/100/ruthHX.pdf

Swerve

Postby Swerve » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:12 am

smj999smj wrote:I recently picked up a set of NGK # 96355 Ruthenium HX spark plugs for my 06 Pathy. They are supposed to be their "latest and greatest," but I haven't installed them, yet. They run about $8/plug
How do you like them so far? 100k mile service interval on these? I’m due for plugs and have the OE Laser Iridiums on the list for my 11 V6 but if you prefer these then I might go this route.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:13 am

I've had my Pathfinder off the road for a few months and have been driving my Frontier in the meantime. Just got two tires replaced the other day and yesterday I replaced the left-rear wheel bearing hub/brake caliper/pads and rotors. Will be doing the same to the other side today and will be replacing the air hose and valve on my Airlift 1000 air bag. It's part of my brake upgrade, going with EBC "Yellow Stuff" pads, EBC slotted/dimpled rotors, Power Stop calipers and Goodridge stainless steel brake hoses. Once I'm done with the back end, I'm doing the same to the front, but replacing the V6 brakes with the larger, V8 brakes. Then I can finally get to the spark plugs and I have a bad coil to replace. Hoping the warm weather hangs around for another week so I can get her back on the road!

Swerve

Postby Swerve » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:37 pm

smj999smj wrote:I've had my Pathfinder off the road for a few months and have been driving my Frontier in the meantime. Just got two tires replaced the other day and yesterday I replaced the left-rear wheel bearing hub/brake caliper/pads and rotors. Will be doing the same to the other side today and will be replacing the air hose and valve on my Airlift 1000 air bag. It's part of my brake upgrade, going with EBC "Yellow Stuff" pads, EBC slotted/dimpled rotors, Power Stop calipers and Goodridge stainless steel brake hoses. Once I'm done with the back end, I'm doing the same to the front, but replacing the V6 brakes with the larger, V8 brakes. Then I can finally get to the spark plugs and I have a bad coil to replace. Hoping the warm weather hangs around for another week so I can get her back on the road!
Busy! I think I may want to do the V8 brake upgrade as well. I lost a 91 240sx in an accident ages ago and it always had horrible brakes. All oem Nissan parts all the time in it but primitive ABS and I recall it having the poorest braking performance in any car I ever had. Since then, I’ve upgraded front brakes in cars I felt needed more stopping power. I have lots of brakes left on my Pathfinder so will decide on the V8 upgrade later. Mental noting the tip on Power Stop Calipers. I’ve had 1 front caliper replaced at the dealer already, so if/when I step up to the V8 brakes I’ll look for the Power Stops. Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:28 am

I finished the rear axle, yesterday: EBC Yellow Stuff pads, EBC GD rotors, Power Stop calipers, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines and TRQ wheel bearing hubs. I also replace the air line and valve stem for one of the Airlift 1000 air bags that was losing air. Everything went well; all the parts fit perfectly. I'll do a write-up with some picks, soon, but taking advantage of the warm weather in central VA to get stuff done!
I hope to replace the Bose subwoofer speakers and maybe take a look at the parasitic draw in my D22 Frontier, today, once the rain lets up. I should get to the Pathfinder's front brakes/wheel bearing hubs over the next two days. She's due for inspection at the end of January and I'm vacation, so, despite my global warming concerns in that it's almost New Years Day and I can sit outside, comfortably, in shorts and T-shirt...I am glad to have decent weather to get some much overdue work done on my vehicles!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”