Overfilled oil , 97 pathy, drove , then loss of power

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Johnnyfalcon2

Overfilled oil , 97 pathy, drove , then loss of power

Postby Johnnyfalcon2 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Then i drained some oil then it still drove with low power. Then a check engine light came on , at autozone it said bad crankshaft sensor on the code.... Well the next day i try to drive , i didnt get the check engine light but the engine was running with low power. Can i fix this issue with a cleaner or a flush?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:53 am

The crankshaft position sensor, which is located on the top/left of the transmission bellhousing, will not affect drivability on VG-series engines; it is for ECM monitoring, only. As to why you have low power, is hard to say. You don't mention how much you overfilled it. If it was a quart or less, the overfill may not have anything to do with the current lack of power, even if the timing of the issue in regards to the overfill would suggest otherwise. Often I see crank position sensor codes trigger on these engine when the distributor is starting to fail. Sometimes you just need to check your basics: fuel pressure within specs, condition of secondary ignition parts, exhaust restriction, etc.

Johnnyfalcon2

Postby Johnnyfalcon2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:19 am

smj999smj wrote:The crankshaft position sensor, which is located on the top/left of the transmission bellhousing, will not affect drivability on VG-series engines; it is for ECM monitoring, only. As to why you have low power, is hard to say. You don't mention how much you overfilled it. If it was a quart or less, the overfill may not have anything to do with the current lack of power, even if the timing of the issue in regards to the overfill would suggest otherwise. Often I see crank position sensor codes trigger on these engine when the distributor is starting to fail. Sometimes you just need to check your basics: fuel pressure within specs, condition of secondary ignition parts, exhaust restriction, etc.
thanks . I beleive it was over filled by a quart.. Maybe it messed up my oil pump with the oil getting frothy from overfilling... What other 'basics' are there for me to check besides the one you listed? What scan tool would you recommend to buy? I do not have good trouble shooting knowledge on engines... When the truck is in drive it has jerky acceleration with weak power. Pushing harder on gas makes it rev too high and not a smooth acceleration what so ever.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”