Low Pressure and Rattle at Start up

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Adding new oil helps, for a bit. The gaskets that leak, or pop out in my case, are paper gaskets so the high mileage oil doesn't really help with that. Here's a link to an image of what mine looks like. It's right next to the left side hole where the cams come through the rear case. I was working on a noise problem when I found it. My right head has a crack in it so I'm replacing it. The cams and lifters on that side look like new. I just pulled the left side rocker cover off, which is the side the gasket popped out, and the cams are burned pretty badly. Lots of scoring and worn lifter tops. It definitely shows there was a lubrication issue. There is about 1/2" of gasket missing from the gallery. It's probably in the oil pan ready to clog something up. Who uses paper gaskets anymore, besides Nissan?

Picture:

http://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNc ... ZiMXRYSWx3

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:39 pm

If it's in the pan, it'll probably just sink to the bottom and stay there. At the worst, it'll just get sucked onto the pick-up tube screen, and that little bit won't be enough to be an issue with oil flow.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Tue May 05, 2020 5:27 pm

I am starting to think the noise and delayed pressure is a weak timing chain tensioner. When I park with the front end high it makes noise longer then when I park nose down.

Is it possible to change out the main tensioner without pulling the front timing chain cover? I should have replaced all the tensioners when I swapped my timing chain. Rookie mistake. If I can swap the main tensioner through the access cover that would be great. Obviously if it's the secondary tensioners I'll have to go all the way in.

Thoughts?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”