?: Worth fixing up?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

greyhoundrick

?: Worth fixing up?

Postby greyhoundrick » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well.

I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum 2WD with 115000 miles. It runs great and I have replaced the catalytic converter along with some other repairs that have totaled about $1500 over the last year or so.

It still needs body work (has multiple dents), interior repair, new shocks and tires. In your opinion, is this particular year and model worth fixing up at this juncture or do you think it would be a poor investment if I plan on keeping the car for at least another 5+ years? I wasn't sure if this generation was relatively reliable vs. some of the others.

It still has the original transmission and doesn't leak oil. Engine runs excellent.

Thanks so much for your expertise. I appreciate it!

best to you,

Rick

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 pm

"Worth" is a subjective term. I can't answer that for you. The 2004 Pathfinder was the last year of that model's run, which is often a good thing as the new model "bugs" have long been worked out of it. As far as reliability, they were pretty good. When the replaced the VG33E in 2001 with the more powerful and technically advanced VQ35DE engine, there were a few more check engine light issues that went along with it due to there being a lot more sensors. Of course, maintenance history has a lot to do with the long-term reliability of a vehicle as well as body condition (previous collision damage or rust/corrosion concerns). Not having a transfer case and related parts that a 4WD vehicle would have makes it much easier to work on, especially under the engine. Shocks and struts aren't major issues; KYB is a good choice as they made the original equipment parts and they have a limited-lifetime warranty. The rear suspension link bushings are also much documented; when they split or break, the rear of the vehicle will tend to "wander" at highway speeds. There was a recall issued not that long ago in regards to corrosion at the bottom of the front strut towers, so it would be a good idea to check for any open recalls and have them performed.
This all said, it's hard to give an opinion on a vehicle one can't see for himself and work on. Your best evaluation would be from a good, reputable auto mechanic who can give the vehicle a thorough inspection and discuss any issues that are current or show evidence that they may be a problem down the road.

Wes

Postby Wes » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 am

only 115k? I would say its worth it. I have a 2001 3.5l LE model with 215k and it runs fine (although) I am battling a check engine light problem. I have replaced lots of stuff on mine, but they were all cheaper than a payment: alternator, compressor, starter, radiator, shocks, struts, rack and pinion, but it was all cheaper than a car payment as I probably did one of those things each year for the past 5 years. The shocks and struts make a huge difference. Go ahead and replace those trailing arms at the same time because you will eventually.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”