Shim it or replace it?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

famousredhead

Shim it or replace it?

Postby famousredhead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi All. I have a 2000 SE Manual Tranny

I have posted in the past that I am having alot of play in my rear differential. My mechanic guru down here in Costa Rica says he can shim it or replace it with a used one.

So which is better? Am I taking any chances shimming vs. putting in a used one? The price is about the same. Shimming, he says he will need the car for 4 days. Swapping out for a new used one is much faster and easier.

I see the pro and cons of each as:

Shimming: it is my part so I know what I already have. But it will cost more in mechanic's labor

Swapping: I would have someone else's part so I dont know how long it will before IT MAY start having the same problems BUT I would get my care back faster saving on mechanic's time and cost.

Any thoughts and advice? What could go wrong with shimming I am not aware of?

Which would last longer?

What would YOU do?

Thanks for the advice as always...
Little Red

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:40 pm

A bit of backlash is normal for a 20 year old Costa Rican Pathfinder and it shows up a lot more on a manual transmission than an automatic. It's normal wear and tear on a limited slip differential that sees all the hairpin turns that we drive on. I've been dealing with the backlash on my 98 for the past 12 years and it hasn't gotten any worse. Unless you plan to keep it for another 20 years just put good quality gear oil in it and go. If you put a junkyard gear in it you're likely to see some backlash on that as well, depending on the mileage. If you're getting a lot of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug then you might have to have it looked at. What kind of money are you being quoted? Where is your mechanic located? I've found that good quality mechanics are rare in Costa Rica. I could tell some horror stories.

famousredhead

To Shim or Not?

Postby famousredhead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks Hooligan:

He is quoting me about $400 for shimming (out the door). I can also get a used one for that down here. But I think I'm with you. I will have him look at the plug for the metal shavings and if there isn't any then I will just go for a while longer. As long as it isn't dangerous to drive. Then I will probably shim it since I know the part that I have. Rather pay 1 time for a repair than 2.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”