Resin/Fiber Glass Smell

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

famousredhead

Resin/Fiber Glass Smell

Postby famousredhead » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:57 am

I everyone! ok..about a yr. and half ago, my husband bought a small bottle of resin material to mix to make the hard stuff for a project. He had it on the floor in the back of the Pathy. It didn't leak. But damn it if it didn't smell that resin for weeks. I washed the mat. Eventually the smell went away until......I turned on the air conditioner. Whew...did the smell come through there. But it's been 1.5 yrs and EVERY TIME I turn on the air conditioner...I smell that resin smell. Hits me right in the face. When it's not on I don't smell it. So that got me thinking....

Is there something else under the hood that may be going bad that would emit a smell like that? Maybe all this time I am thinking it was that bottle of resin and it could be something else entirely?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:42 am

How long has it been since you changed your cabin air filter behind the glove box (if you have one...you didn't mention the year of your Pathy)? If it's been a while, you may want to replace it with one that has charcoal or carbon in the media, which helps eliminates odors.

famousredhead

Resin/Fiber Glass Smell---UPDATE

Postby famousredhead » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi everyone...well, it turns out that the Resin/Fiberglass smell that kept smacking me in the face and getting stronger by the day WAS after all a car related issue.

I failed my emissions test and the report showed I had to replace my 20 yr old catalytic converters.

I took my car and report to a local muffler shop and they said, "Yup, need new ones". That's right I had to have 2 installed The Front left and the Front Right.

As I drove away and was quite a ways down the road, I turned on the air conditioner and nothing but sweet fresh air. That horrible smell was gone. So when someone says a bad CC smells like rotten eggs, just know that it could ALSO smell like Fiberglass Resin.

Problem SOLVED!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:07 am

Thanks for the update!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”