What comes next

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

jcunard

What comes next

Postby jcunard » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am

I had a 2005 R51 and currently have a 2011. The size and versatility are perfect.

For anyone who has replaced their pathfinder or is thinking about it, what models are you considering?

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:16 pm

I've thought about it, but can't pull myself to go into debt or replacing the R51 with another vehicle at the moment.

If I were to replace it, the vehicle I would consider replacing it with would be a Toyota 4Runner. RWD, boxy shape, body on frame and a great engine. The only thing is that people think God himself makes Toyota vehicles so they are $$$ when bought new and $$$ when bought used.

My 2011 R51 has been really reliable even tough it's been through off road hell (mostly beach off roading) and urban hell (daily driver and used for Lyft ridesharing).

I will get a new car, but it won't be a replacement for the R51. It'll just be a new car for me. Waited for the new Supra to come out, but deciding against it since no manual is offered + it looks a little odd and it's too much BMW. So I'll wait for a new Z if that ever happens. I mean it's celebrated it's 40th AND 50th anniversary with the same design so not holding my breath. Guess that gives me time to collect cash for a larger down payment.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:04 pm

The only thing with the size and configuration comparable to the R51 right now FS in the US is the 4runner.
But they are quite expensive I just cant bring myself to pay the toyota tax.

There are rumors that in a couple years Nissan will bring out a new Xterra or Pathfinder thats body on frame for the US.

It will likely look something like this (new Nissan Terra in Asian market)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fedirYhyYIw&t=

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:56 pm

When I was shopping I found that in my area an 4Runner was pretty close to 2x the cost of a similar Pathfinder.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:38 pm

I've sometimes pondered the idea of trading my '06 LE in for a newer Nissan Rogue or Subaru Forester. I usually drive by myself, don't tow often and it would be nice to get something with better gas mileage. But, honestly, I'm happy with my Pathfinder even as it has 200,000 miles on it. While I don't get a lot of snow where I'm at in VA, there are times I do and my job doesn't allow me to call out on those days. The Pathfinder is fantastic in snow and it has never left me stuck, anywhere. It's still in good shape and the gas mileage isn't terrible. It's plenty big enough and comfortable enough for my big a**. The CVT transmission and poor customer satisfaction score (Consumer Reports) for the Rogue has given me concerns. I also don't want a car payment, so I'll be sticking with it a few more years.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:33 pm

I haven't heard anything about Nissan coming back with a true SUV again. I really think they should. I was at the dealer a few days ago and all of their vehicles make me want to vomit. My plan is to hold out for the next gen 4Runner. If something were to happen right now, I'd buy a current gen 4Runner. There are some pretty nice CUVs out there, but nothing that could haul me on the trails I often take.

I can't see myself ever buying a Ford, but I am curious to see what the new Bronco will be like.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:55 am

My 2012 currently has 83k miles. Next year, wifey (definitely not me) wants to get either Ford Raptor or Dodge Ram 1500 Platinum. But we're definitely keeping the R51 until it gives up on us :lol:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 am

smj999smj wrote:I've sometimes pondered the idea of trading my '06 LE in for a newer Nissan Rogue. The CVT transmission and poor customer satisfaction score (Consumer Reports) for the Rogue has given me concerns. I also don't want a car payment, so I'll be sticking with it a few more years.
We've been driving a 2010 Rogue for the last 4 years, put over 120k kms onto it. The transmission has a whine sometimes, but its been pretty rock solid over all. There is a problem with the rear diff, clicking during slow speed turns (TSB #NTB10-029e) I just unplug it in summer time, plug it back in when I install my winter tires so I have AWD when I need it.

Also, the car was a rebuilt status, so it has a few squeaks and rattles, I think subframe bushings, or front struts. Exhaust shields rattle. Had an electrical issue on the Crank Position sensor and ECM power wire in the front fuse/relay box, related to it being a rebuilt status. That was fun to figure out, and expensive as I am not an electrical guy. Ended up building a new harness for the Crank position sensor from the ECM plugs.

But it has 220k km on it now, and doesn't seem to be slowing down, so we will keep driving it. Overall, it actually rides a lot better than other cars in its class, much nicer ride than my parents' 2009 CR-V, better than a RAV4 for sure as well.

I saw a 2010 Rogue sell at the local salvage auction for $350. Think I may pick one up as a parts car, then I will have a spare trans, and could look at swapping the diff to get rid of the clicking. And God knows what else. But it does seem like a lot of work too.

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:40 am

Our 2005 Pathy has 215k miles on it (345000km). Realistically, we have about 2-5 years left, and we need something that can tow to replace it. Or any collision or accident, or catastrophic mechanical failure could mean we need to start looking immediately... (fingers crossed!)

I am giving serious thought to a Dodge Ram Ecodiesel. Under 10L/100km (30+ MPG) on the highway, and I have a decent understanding of diesels and their issues due to my years working in the heavy vehicle industry. Chevy and Ford both came out with 1/2 ton diesels this year as well, but I am always hesitant to buy a first model year. RAM has been out since 2014, and not without issue. There have been a number of early failures of the VM Motori motor, sounds like early bearing failure or oil distribution issues. So definitely would want one thats on warranty for at least a year or 2.

Up here, that means buying a 2016 or so, they are running around $25-35k canadian. The newer ones (2018-19) have more power, but I wonder if at the detriment of fuel economy. Some pretty decent aftermarket tunes out there, along with the DPF/DEF delete kits which I could get away with here in Manitoba due to no emissions testing.

In any case, there doesn't seem to be a vehicle like the R51 out there to replace ours, for us its the right size, has the right capabilities, and has been quite reliable for us. Too bad.

I've had thoughts of importing an R51 from Europe with the 3L V6 Diesel in it. 2008 or so, they go for about $12k Euros. Could be fun. But if it became our primary vehicle, it could become difficult to find parts and service...

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 am

disallow wrote: I've had thoughts of importing an R51 from Europe with the 3L V6 Diesel in it. 2008 or so, they go for about $12k Euros. Could be fun. But if it became our primary vehicle, it could become difficult to find parts and service...
terry I am currently in Europe. I thought we cant import back to US unless it sover 25 yrs old (a "classic")
But I am very willing to be eductaed.. :)

Also I will link this again..
Am hoping this will be the new pathfinder:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 am

In Canada it's 13 years.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:17 pm

palmerwmd wrote:The only thing with the size and configuration comparable to the R51 right now FS in the US is the 4runner.
But they are quite expensive I just cant bring myself to pay the toyota tax.

There are rumors that in a couple years Nissan will bring out a new Xterra or Pathfinder thats body on frame for the US.

It will likely look something like this (new Nissan Terra in Asian market)
That is nice. Yes. Good chance it will come to US

Anyone consider the new Armada?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Armada's too big for my needs and I don't need something that gets worse gas mileage than my Pathfinder. I already have that in my supercharged Frontier that sucks down premium unleaded at 13 MPG!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:35 pm

smj999smj wrote:Armada's too big for my needs and I don't need something that gets worse gas mileage than my Pathfinder. I already have that in my supercharged Frontier that sucks down premium unleaded at 13 MPG!
I agree. I love the look of the new (to the US) Armada, but not with that mileage and definitely not with the huge lack of aftermarket parts.

jcunard

Postby jcunard » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:38 am

No one has mentioned the domestics. I'm considering a GMC Acadia as the replacement for my 2011 R51 when the time arrives. It's nearly the same length and just a couple of inches wider (size does matter) and with the towing package will pull anything I have. I will say though I have not yet test driven one.

Return to “R51 General Chat”