My 2015 Altima seems to be acting weird. I think it’s the

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

joelfernandes

My 2015 Altima seems to be acting weird. I think it’s the

Postby joelfernandes » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:35 am

Found a transmission shop that says they work on CVT transmissions and will look at if for free. The dealership I bought it at charges $150 for a diagnostic. All other private shops I called said they won’t touch CVTs. Is it good to try the private shop or are dealerships the only reliable CVT service providers?

The vehicle seems to shift gears erratically or too much. It’s at about 1,000 RPMS while idle too. Also sometimes it has delayed acceleration after being idle. I’ll hit the gas and it won’t go, so I’ll have to take my foot off the gas and press again to get it to register. However, no check engine lights or anything are on.

Received a letter about the Nissan CVT lawsuit going on too, which my vehicle makes me a member of. It approved they would reimburse any transmission work done before Jan 30, 2020.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: My 2015 Altima seems to be acting weird. I think it’s

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:38 pm

joelfernandes wrote:
Received a letter about the Nissan CVT lawsuit going on too, which my vehicle makes me a member of. It approved they would reimburse any transmission work done before Jan 30, 2020.
Sounds like u are a bit under the gun here.
This makes me recommend to use a dealer for the diagnostic.
So if there is a tranny issue (and not some electrical fault or so) its documented with Nissan corporate prior to your deadline.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:55 am

CVT transmissions really don't "shift." They use a steel belt around two pulleys which can increase/decrease their diameters, effectively changing the gear ratio. By your description, it sounds like the steel belt is slipping on the pulleys. My friend's 2016 Altima did the same thing and there was a TSB on it to replace the TCM/Valve body assembly and, if needed, the "sub-set," which is the steel belt and pulleys. This requires dropping the subframe with the engine/trans and then the transmission can be separated from the engine, torndown and repaired, which is a pretty big job, obviously. More often than not, when CVT's have issues, it usually ends up having to be rebuilt or replaced; you don't see too many wiring issues and such outside the trans.
You might want to first go to Nissan's site and do a recall search with your VIN # to see if there are any recalls or campaigns. When they do recall reimbursements for vehicle repairs that occurred prior to the issuing or notification said recall, they will cover costs regardless of whether it was done at a Nissan dealer or independent shop, however, you will need your receipt for a shop other than Nissan (the Nissan repair should be in their computer system and the costs in the servicing dealer's system...though, I would still keep the Nissan receipt, just the same). That said, it would probably be a little less headache when coming to reimbursement costs. Nissan usually doesn't repair CVT transmissions unless it is directed under a recall or campaign; they will usually go with a remanufactured unit.

Return to “General Automotive”