Towing, rear shock replacement options. Need Help.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

speedline

Towing, rear shock replacement options. Need Help.

Postby speedline » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:33 pm

I have the airlift 1000 kit installed. At first it was great, compared to not having them. I tow a 21 foot 3500lbs lightweight travel trailer. The bags seem to keep the rear of the Pathy not sagging as much as stock.

Now though it seems I am looking for more rear stiffness and less sagging. Does anyone know if replacing the rear stock shocks with the Rancho 9000's would make any difference? Or recommend another aftermarket shock for the rear.

Thanks

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:00 pm

I've used Rancho 9000's on a few different vehicles and have always like them. The Grand Wagoneer I had before the PF had the same way too soft rear springs. I added some helper springs to keep it from sagging and the 9000's to firm it up to keep it from pogoing. When I'd tow, I up the firmness one or two positions. That was with the older 5 position adjusters. They did a great job.

I've checked to make sure they make the 9000s for the PF, which they do. However, the Airlifts have taken care of my needs just fine(340lb. tongue wt. tent trailer) so I'll add them down the line.

speedline

Postby speedline » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:29 pm

thanks for your input. Anyone else

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:35 am

I alwayed like http://www.bilstein.com/ for shocks. I think Rancho quality is not there.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:50 am

I ran the KYB Mono Max on my old Frontier ...mad a HUGE difference in towing .... No idea if they are out for the Path yet .... Thats what I will be looking into when its time for a shock upgrade ...

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Just a general comment, changing the rear shocks might improve ride stiffness but won't reduce sagging. If you're having sagging issues even with the Airlift 1000 maybe you want to consider reducing the tongue weight on your trailer, if you can adjust your axle position or boat position.

Sorry I don't have any experience with particular shocks...this thread will probably help later on when I'm due.

speedline

Postby speedline » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Can other people confirm this? I just bought the Rancho 9000 Xls today hoping they would provide a firmer ride while towing and not have the rear sag to much. The tongue weight on my trailer is only 350lbs and no I cannot change the axle position because its a travel trailer. Anyone else have any suggestions on what to do here. Should I install the Ranchos in the rear or just take them back. Are they better than the stock shocks?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 pm

speedline wrote:Can other people confirm this? I just bought the Rancho 9000 Xls today hoping they would provide a firmer ride while towing and not have the rear sag to much. The tongue weight on my trailer is only 350lbs and no I cannot change the axle position because its a travel trailer. Anyone else have any suggestions on what to do here. Should I install the Ranchos in the rear or just take them back. Are they better than the stock shocks?
do you use a weight distributing hitch? (equalizer or other brand name). They cost about $500-1000 but are worth every penny.

I tow a 4500lb dry (5200lb loaded) 28' travel trailer with my pathfinder. I don't have pics to prove it, but I have no sag at all in the rear with no air lift bags, because of my hitch. It shifts the weight from the tongue rearwards to the trailer axles so that you are only pulling the trailer, not weighed down by it.

Also, you need to make sure that your hitch receiver and trailer tongue are set up properly. If your trailer is too low it will put a great deal of strain on your truck as the weight will be shifted forward, probably far exceeding your 350lb tongue weight. IIRC, the pathy hitch receiver is 22" from the ground, which is quite a bit higher than some trucks out there. Its because the hitch is integrated into the bumper, not below it.

Also remember that tongue weight is a guideline for an unloaded trailer. Most TTs have 2 bottles of propane on the tongue which adds significant weight, 20lbs propane each plus another 20-25lbs for the tank = 90lbs. Plus 10% of any load you put on the trailer (depending where you position relative to the axles).

That much weight on the hitch is not good, especially with the pathy and its short wheel base. If your rear is pushed down that hard, I would say you are probably having sway issues (having to compensate on the steering constantly).

t

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 pm

The 9000s will only help stiffen the ride, as they are adjustable. They will not keep it from sagging. That's what the Airlifts are for. Is 350lbs the advertised tongue load, or did you actually measure it? My advertised tongue weight is 244lbs, but when loaded up, it ended up being 340lbs measured. With the PF only loaded with clothes and bedding in the back, the Airlifts only needed 25psi to keep the rear end from sagging and the trailer level.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 am

Captain caveman wrote:I alwayed like http://www.bilstein.com/ for shocks. I think Rancho quality is not there.
While doing the rear u-joint on my pathy yesterday, noted that the shocks were still originally, and a little buttery.

Looks like the only shocks readily available locally are monroes or ranchos. Looks like an easy job though... shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes, plus time to fight with rusty bolts.

Any idea where to get the Bilsteins? Or KYB?

t

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:29 pm

speedline

Postby speedline » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:08 pm

I am using a weight distributing hitch. Even with the bars snugged up I deal with rear sag and sway. Did the RV place setup my hitch wrong? Can you send me pics of your setup? Have any tips on setting up the hitch?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:54 am

Speedline, what PSI do you have your Airlift set to when you tow?

speedline

Postby speedline » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:09 am

I max the bags out at 35. I just came back from a week towing camping trip. I had re-adjusted the weight distributing hitch and everything was great. Hardly any sway at all. About an inch of sag in the rear, so I think I got it as close as I am going to get.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 am

speedline wrote:I max the bags out at 35. I just came back from a week towing camping trip. I had re-adjusted the weight distributing hitch and everything was great. Hardly any sway at all. About an inch of sag in the rear, so I think I got it as close as I am going to get.
Sounds about right. Sorry I haven't had time to take pics of my setup yet. Will try today or tomorrow.

Now I'm actually interested in seeing the height difference of the hitch hooked and unhooked.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”