The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Timing chain tensioner, take two...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weaver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grm3: I had similar noise last year, was hopeful wasn't T-chains because it would quiet down after warming up, like yours. (136k mi) Then last November it remained noisy and the sound got louder. Then I knew that the borrowed time was about up; timebomb. Tip-toed for about 400 mi like that, avoiding driving it at all unless necessary. Sucked. Got truck back from shop 3 weeks ago, runs great. MAJOR relief ! One secondary tensioner guide was nearly worn through, and the other had been completely chewed through and the chain was cutting through the tensioner piston top. I figure the change in noise/sound/pitch was when the chain finally started hitting metal. Caught it just in time. You could take the serpentine belt off to check that the noise isn't from a driven accessory as the water pump is chain driven internally. (thanks to SMJ for that trick)Might throw some codes,fyi. FWIW the job on mine was $1,950 including water pump, t-stat. would have been more, but the shop ate the additonal cost because the listed kit they quoted me didn't come with all of the necessary parts, including the enigmatic seals.
08SE V6 4wd stnd, restoring to stock and slightly upragrding.D.O.P. 1-19,:spectra rad,all LED;(excld hdlts)trans+oilcooler lines, skid plates,TPMStrnsmtrs, upgrading corroded hardware, t-chain/tensioners,7pin tow conn,restored interior,hood lift struts; list:Air 1000, Bilstein shocks,susp,compRR, lighting & switching mods, various restos,MX-7000 light bar,new exhaust,b/ogrill, black trim headlights,delete roof rails for custom rack
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '08 SE with 150K miles on it. I notice a number of posts in this forum about timing chain tensioners and some noise from the engine that indicates their immanent failure.

My truck does not make any noises that I would consider unusual.

Can someone describe the sound of failed/failing tensioners so I'll know it if it happens to me?

Thanks.
ShipFixer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one sounds pretty close to real life on my work laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdR9XnazCo

It's hard to ignore once it happens. Only one tensioner was gone on my truck this time and I still heard it. Definitely quieter than a full fail of all of them but it wasn't something I could ignore.

Other stuff that sounds similar include failing alternators, failing power steering pumps, failing motor driven fan bearings, and failing a/c compressors or clutches.
2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4: XTP Intake Manifold Spacer, PRG motor mounts, Moog springs, Bilstein shocks, Air Lift 1000, PRG Delrin steering rack bushings, CSF all aluminum radiator, SecondSkin sound deadening and insulation.
weaver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipfixer: hope you're outta the woods on this one. Great info with the DataScanII, hope to be able to add live data to my aresenal if the credit card ever cools down, (had to delay suspension AGAIN) That clarified some convoluted/conflicting info I was coming across last fall when I was debating if I was going to do it myself. Your experience is exactly why I HATE anyone working on my stuff. We end up having to deal with others mistakes on our own clock. The shop left a HUGE mess on mine, took days to carefully clean just to check for leaks. I give them it was a big job; going to have mess; but this was crazy. Probably wanted my truck out the door ASAP after all of the fits she gave them! I think they turned the engine over without covering the VVT valve body ports so oil erupted like a volcano. Plus, they over-tightened the oil filter distorting the gasket, which was starting to leak. The oil filter for cryin' out loud! Just like the air cleaner box lid can't ever get put on right!! (Firrst thing I checked, and sure enough...3 tabs 3 slots is really complicated!)Makes ya wonder about the not so simple stuff... I went ahead and did oil change+filter AGAIN. More $ wasted. At this point just glad to have the big one done. It is what it is. Still trying to figure out why pre-repair I averaged 18-19mpg hwy;post repair 23.3 (best EVER, whoo hoo..) then sudden drop to 14-17mpg. Reset MPG on dash screen, giving it some time to see what it does. Going to start crawling over manifold, intake, vac, evap etc. No codes tho. Sorry about long post, just so glad to have this done; I could write a book about it. Keep your powder dry and your p**ker hard, and the world will turn. Very Happy
08SE V6 4wd stnd, restoring to stock and slightly upragrding.D.O.P. 1-19,:spectra rad,all LED;(excld hdlts)trans+oilcooler lines, skid plates,TPMStrnsmtrs, upgrading corroded hardware, t-chain/tensioners,7pin tow conn,restored interior,hood lift struts; list:Air 1000, Bilstein shocks,susp,compRR, lighting & switching mods, various restos,MX-7000 light bar,new exhaust,b/ogrill, black trim headlights,delete roof rails for custom rack
TooTallMike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible for the noise to come back after fixing them after a year and under 30k miles?

What chains are you guys using?

I believe I used CLOYES from rockauto.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It "shouldn't" come back and I hear Cloyes chains are good. That said, I stuck to genuine Nissan timing chain parts in the two I own.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: