Engine noise

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ALO604

Engine noise

Postby ALO604 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:30 am

I'm a new owner of a Pathfinder. Do these V6 engines have a lot of road noise? Acceleration is simply loud. I'm used to Honda Pilots and Ridgelines which are really quiet engines. There seems to be a lot of trans vibration when at a low RPM in 5th gear and convertor locked up too. I don't feel there is anything wrong, just noisey.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 am

I never heard of "road noise" as an engine description, but Nissan engines don't run like like "sewing machines" as many Honda engines are described. That said, there have been some instances of bad fan clutches that will cause a constant "roar" from the engine compartment. Another noise that sometime occurs is a "whining" noise that can occur if the upper timing chains are cutting into the plastic tensioner faces, which doesn't happen to all but does happen to some.
Vibration is a common complaint at idle on these engines, which seems to be nature of the beast. If a scan tool or tuner is used to bump up the base idle, it does improve this. Vibration at highway speeds can occur with a failing driveshaft U-joint. There have also been a number of 05-10 Pathfinders that have or have had trans cooler failures inside the radiator which cause cross-contamination of engine coolant and transmission fluid. Signs of this can include white streaks in the trans fluid, strawberry custard-like goop in the trans fluid or oil in the coolant reservoir. Signs of previous repair can include a replacement radiator (although many have been replaced to prevent this problem and not necessarily as a repair) or evidence on a vehicle's history report, such as on a Nissan dealer's history or a CARFAX report.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:35 am

Speaking to a friend, his 2016 CRV was just at Honda (outside 36mo warranty but less than 100k km) and had the entire timing chain assy replaced at a cost of just under $2k. I have been hearing stories like this on all makes, but I always have higher expectations from Honda. Disappointed in this case.

Sewing machine indeed... Lol

t

ALO604

Postby ALO604 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:37 am

I think these engines are just loud, nature of the beast. Be it crappy insulation from the driver area or whatever. Just a lot of noise in general. The trans lockup is such a low RPM it has a very similar sound to the low idle scenario, put it over to manual 4th and its way quieter with more RPM. The transverse mounted engines in FWD trucks such as Honda are overall quieter.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:01 pm

There's no lock-up in 4th, but there is in 3rd and 5th, if my memory is correct.
I've been hearing they've been having some engine problems on the CRV's, specifically the 1.5L. I know Kia and Hyundai have a recall out on some of their 4-cyl. engines; I think the 2.4L. They claim metal filings were left in the block from the machining process. I co-worker of mine has a Kia Optima that started knocking bad with around 100,000 miles on it and she figured the car was done. I copied the TSB for her and she went to the dealer. They put her in a loaner for 2-months while they installed a new long block engine in her car, no charge (the part was back-ordered).

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”