The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Gas cap tether (aka "gas cap strap") fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Body Interior and Exterior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Gas cap tether (aka "gas cap strap") fix Reply with quote

If you should happen to have your gas cap tether break, the Nissan parts catalog shows it only available as part of the gas cap. However, the part is available as an updated tether was created as part of a recall for some models. The part is actually a little better as it is a little more flexible than the one that came originally on my 2006 Pathfinder.

Nissan P/N: 17429-ZP00A retainer, fuel cap MSRP: $5.13

Remove the plastic white ring on the gas cap by carefully prying it off with a small, flat-bladed screwdriver. Remove the old plastic tether and install the new one. Re-install the white plastic ring by snapping it in place. Pry out the old tether's push-pin from the gas cap lid and discard (a new one comes with the new tether). Install the new push-pin through the opposite end of the tether and press into the hole of the gas cap lid. Done!
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually cut mine off after about a month of ownership. It was really annoying would always bunch up and be in the way.
What did you do to your Pathfinder thread:http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=71760#71760
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volvite wrote:
I actually cut mine off after about a month of ownership. It was really annoying would always bunch up and be in the way.

That's why the newer strap is a little better in that it is more flexible than the original.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
dentman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip! I replaced mine soon after buying my heavily used 2006.

In case you can't follow the written instructions here are step by step photos for a similar vehicle.

http://www.graywarrant.us/Manuals/2005_Frontier/Bulletins/NTB09-0152005-2009%20NISSAN%20FRONTIER%3B%20FUEL%20FILLER%20CAP%20AND%20TETHER%20DETACHED%20FROM%20THE%20VEHICLE.pdf
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentman wrote:
Great tip! I replaced mine soon after buying my heavily used 2006.

In case you can't follow the written instructions here are step by step photos for a similar vehicle.

http://www.graywarrant.us/Manuals/2005_Frontier/Bulletins/NTB09-0152005-2009%20NISSAN%20FRONTIER%3B%20FUEL%20FILLER%20CAP%20AND%20TETHER%20DETACHED%20FROM%20THE%20VEHICLE.pdf

Seems to be a dead link.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info was listed in Nissan bulletin NTB09-015.
Aft3rburn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 06 pathy's gas door pop out automatically (like hitting the unlock button a number of times?) or do you push on the front edge (front left side facing the door and the right side pops out? (manually)? I vaguely remember doing the manual method.. but it looked like there was a spring-latch...

I'm curious.. as I've only had my vehicle in my possession for about 12 hours since I bought it almost 3 weeks ago.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aft3rburn wrote:
Does the 06 pathy's gas door pop out automatically (like hitting the unlock button a number of times?) or do you push on the front edge (front left side facing the door and the right side pops out? (manually)? I vaguely remember doing the manual method.. but it looked like there was a spring-latch...

I'm curious.. as I've only had my vehicle in my possession for about 12 hours since I bought it almost 3 weeks ago.

You press on the front edge and it opens manually. Also, it will lock when you lock the doors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Body Interior and Exterior All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: