Rear Locker

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Jumpin

Rear Locker

Postby Jumpin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:34 am

Hello folks, quick question about my 2012 LE V6. Can I add a rear locker to it? If so who does that kind of work? I’m looking at a frontier pro4X just to get one. I’d feel much better about being off road if I had a locking rear diff like I did on my X. Thanks!

ShipFixer

Re: Rear Locker

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:25 am

Jumpin wrote:Hello folks, quick question about my 2012 LE V6. Can I add a rear locker to it? If so who does that kind of work? I’m looking at a frontier pro4X just to get one. I’d feel much better about being off road if I had a locking rear diff like I did on my X. Thanks!
I don't think anyone ended up making one for the Pathfinder. There were some questions to ARB but the market demand never materialized.

That being said, the electronic LSD (uses ABS to control wheelspin) isn't terrible. I'm not going way off road, but the center locking diff plus eLSD make it pretty cat like to me, even on ice, mud, etc. I don't know the full parameters but I've used it to get out of some really deep snow when I was high centered. After kitty litter and other tricks failed, put it in 4LO and it counterintuitively pulled itself out. Could hear the ABS working away and everything!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 am

i am sure there is a locker out there that can be made to work.. but we do have a different rear suspension than the Frontier + Xterra.

But like Shipfixer said the combination of 4LO and that electronic system ( I forgot its name its not ABS but it uses the ABS sensors) together work pretty well.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 pm

Front lockers are available because R51/X/Fronty all share the R180.

The R200 doesn't have a locker specifically made for it but Steve over at Rugged Rocks has installed a couple ARBs from the Patrol? Give him a call or shoot him an email.

Pretty convinced the Quaife will fit in the R200. If you go on the Titan forums guys were ditching their lockers for helical LSDs like the Quaife. The Nissan ABLS combined with the mechanical LSDs reportedly makes a very competent off roader.

Honestly, I've gotten myself through plenty of trouble with my stock R51 and good tires.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:05 pm

If money isnt an issue you can get an Armada or v8 Pathy rear diff R230 they sell plenty of those lockers plus the added strength

The Lokka front locker is also a budget locker that does the job and if driven correctly will not have any issues.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”