PF doesn't always start on initial key turn

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Dwyck99

PF doesn't always start on initial key turn

Postby Dwyck99 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 am

This is a issue that has been happening over the course of close to a year now. It my wife's car and she used to think it was due to her jumping in car and doing too quick/short of a key turn. It started out where maybe once or twice a month(starting car up at least four times a day), she would turn key to start and nothing would happen, then on next try it would start up fine. Eventually months later, it increased to five or six times a month. About a month ago, it increased to probably 2-3 times a week. All this time, it would only be one turn of not start, then starting fine on next try. NOW, it sometimes it may take 3-4 times before it starts but always starts up strong.

This only seems to happen if car has been sitting for a little while. Once car starts up, it keeps starting fine if turned off then started again within say, 15 minutes. Most times it starts of fine after much longer periods of sitting. What could cause this? Haven't cleaned terminals but they don't look bad.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:48 pm

When you say "nothing would happen", do you mean that the starter motor wasn't activated at all, or that the starter motor would spin the engine but the engine would not "fire up"?

Dwyck99

Postby Dwyck99 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Absolutely no sound or attempted turning over. I just let the car sit for over an hour and tried to crank it up and it started perfectly. It's so random at times. The last two mornings I started it up and each time the issue occurred. I'm going to let it sit a long time today and try it again much later tonight, and then again in the morning. I have read that sometimes it can be a fuel delivery/pump issue on some cars. Not sure how I personally could tell this.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:32 pm

Starter relay?

What is normal when you turn the key? Do other things switch on and off, etc.? Do you hear the starter relay or anything else?

Closest I have had to this is a weak battery clamp that was getting looser over time. (Materials science term is "ambient temperature creep deformation.") Sometimes when I turn the key, it wouldn't get enough amperage through the reduced contact surface with the terminal and nothing would happen after the starter relay activated. I don't think the truck will let the starter attempt to turn the motor if it doesn't have enough amperage.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:45 pm

Or the locks tumbler could be getting worn out.
I once had a car where you had to wiggle the key just so..

Dwyck99

Postby Dwyck99 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:04 pm

Ok started car up after having it sit for over 24 hours... started up like a champ three times in a row. Like I said, so random. If it was a fuel pump issue, would it be happening nearly every time and are there any tell-tale signs? Btw, is it completely normal to quickly smell a very noticeable gas smell if you start a PF up(or any car) inside a closed garage after it has been sitting for a good amount of time?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:14 pm

Dwyck99 wrote:Ok started car up after having it sit for over 24 hours... started up like a champ three times in a row. Like I said, so random. If it was a fuel pump issue, would it be happening nearly every time and are there any tell-tale signs? Btw, is it completely normal to quickly smell a very noticeable gas smell if you start a PF up(or any car) inside a closed garage after it has been sitting for a good amount of time?
I would take a very close look at your battery post/clamp connections if you haven't already.
Clean them & carefully check them.
It's routine maintenance, even if it's not your specific problem.
The negative cable clamp especially, even though the pinch nut may be tight, the clamp may still pivot on the post.
Fuel pump issues aren't usually intermittent.
"Stinky" cold start ups seem normal to me (I have two of these Pathfinders - I know, I'm a glutton for punishment :lol:).

Dwyck99

Postby Dwyck99 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:24 pm

I'm definitely going to check and clean battery connections... also going to try and check starter solenoid connections assuming this vehicle has basically the same type of starter/solenoid setup I've been used to with vehicles I had owned in the past.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:06 am

My battery was not clamped down very tight and would cut power intermittently at random times. After tightening down battery clamps no more issues. Make sure your battery is also secure in the battery tray.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:53 am

Dwyck99 wrote:I'm definitely going to check and clean battery connections... also going to try and check starter solenoid connections assuming this vehicle has basically the same type of starter/solenoid setup I've been used to with vehicles I had owned in the past.
Have you found the problem?

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Sounds like the neutral safety switch might be going to me. Or the connector is corroded. The next time it wont start, hold the key in the start position and move the shifter back and forth or push it forward a little or move it to neutral and see it starts. On Chevy's you used to have to hold up on the shifter before you could start it when the part wore out..

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:58 pm

I still vote battery post clamp. I replaced mine with a generic one from Autozone. Have never had this issue return since.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:00 pm

ShipFixer wrote:I still vote battery post clamp. I replaced mine with a generic one from Autozone. Have never had this issue return since.
There are times when the seemingly complex problems are caused by the most basic of things.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:36 pm

eieio wrote:
ShipFixer wrote:I still vote battery post clamp. I replaced mine with a generic one from Autozone. Have never had this issue return since.
There are times when the seemingly complex problems are caused by the most basic of things.
That's a really nice way of saying "In some places, they used some crap designs, metals, and parts..." :-D

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:09 pm

ShipFixer wrote:
eieio wrote:
That's a really nice way of saying "In some places, they used some crap designs, metals, and parts..." :-D
It's more my way of saying................don't overlook the obvious.
Check the basics first.
:)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”