Another mystery noise. Deep bass sound on decel. (U-Joint?)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

Another mystery noise. Deep bass sound on decel. (U-Joint?)

Postby oreogaborio » Thu May 12, 2011 8:11 am

I've got a really weird noise on decel. I first heard it only when doing 80mph+ and let off the gas, but now it does it at much lower speeds.

If let off the gas doing more than 45mph, I begin to hear a very deep "bass" sound, almost like wind buffeting, but it's not that. It's kind of like when you're driving on a rumble strip, but not as loud or "jagged" of a sound. It's just a smooth deep bass sound and it only goes away when I either stop decelerating or decelerate down below about 35mph.

I can put the transmission in neutral, rev the motor or even downshift and it does not change the pitch or volume.

I have not tried it in 4WH yet. Only 2WD.

Any ideas?

'05 SE with 91,500 miles on it. The only thing I've changed from stock is a transmission cooler bypass and a bug deflector... other than that it's all stock.
Last edited by oreogaborio on Thu May 12, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu May 12, 2011 8:23 am

u-joint

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Thu May 12, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah... That's what I was thinking.

Sounds like a DIY project with the right tools?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu May 12, 2011 8:36 am

oreogaborio wrote:Yeah... That's what I was thinking.

That a DIY project with the right tools?
Yup. To check them, start with the rear shaft. Disconnect from the flange and rotate the u-joint around. Any abnormal play, or stiffness/seizedness will indicate where the problem is. If it seems good, move on to the front. I would drop the whole shaft here. Also check the shafts for damage.

Be careful not to round out the nuts and bolts, or you will have to get new ones. Lots of penetrating oil should help, and also this assumes that nobody else has ever played with them to round them out.

Once you find your culprit, a fine tipped flathead screwdriver, a BFH, the right size (hardened) socket, and a hard surface are required to get the job done. Plenty of tutorials on the net to walk you through it. I haven't actually done it, but I watched my neighbour wail on my driveshaft for about 45 minutes to get it to pop out.

In my case, the needle bearings were all rusty and seized. It was the rear u-joint on the rear driveshaft.

t

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Thu May 12, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks Terry. Gonna see if I can find any good tutorials. Haven't spotted any yet, but when I do I'll post up for others.

I did just find this thread though & it had a few good posts - http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... joints+diy

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Thu May 12, 2011 9:00 am

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 am

Front Shaft Front Position
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 273620____

Rear Shaft Front Position
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 269915____

Can't find Front Shaft Rear Position or Rear Shaft Rear Position. Same parts?

EDIT: Comparing part numbers I found on Napaonline.com, yes, they're the same part numbers on either end of the drive shafts.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 am

Good luck. I just had to do this on my 99 Jeep and it took a lot, and I mean a lot of power with a big hammer to get them to move out. All three ujoints.

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Thu May 12, 2011 11:27 am

I did front shaft u-joints few months ago. It is an easy work,there is nothing to worry about. If you have a one bad u-joint then replace both ends.
I used hammer, flat ended screwdriver for u-joints and 13-14mm wrenches for removing the shaft.

Do not forget to make marks becouse you have to put it back together as it was. Otherwise there is good chance to get shaft out of balance.

Rear and front shaft u-joints are different but bohts ends of shaft are same.
http://www.ladu24.ee/et/ladu2/19182/7026,187942

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sun May 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Replaced the front U Joints today. The noise is noticeably quieter on decel now but I still hear it ever so slightly.

The noise is louder when riding in 4WD and it still requires slowing down and turning to get it to pop back into 2WD.

I would have thought that would point more towards the fronts, but I'm going to do the rear joints soon as well at some point... unfortunately I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks so I don't know when that's going to be.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun May 22, 2011 4:09 pm

My front drive shaft was bent when one of it's U-joints went out. The noise didn't go away because of that. You might still have a problem.

One of the steps in the service manual when replacing the joints is to check the shaft for straightness...

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sun May 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Can't imagine that's the case here. When I say it's still there "ever so slightly" I mean it's barely even audible unless you're really trying to hear it. It's really only noticeable in 4WD now. Had it up to 85 (in 2wd) with zero issues.
Last edited by oreogaborio on Sun May 22, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun May 22, 2011 6:58 pm

oreogaborio wrote:Can't imagine that's the case here. When I say it's still there "ever so slightly" I mean it's barely even audible unless you're really trying to hear it. It's really only noticeable in 4WD now. Had it up to 85 with zero issues.
Oh. 4WD on pavement?

That *should* give you a rumbling noise ;-) I once let some six year olds play in my truck and didn't notice they'd switched the transfer case over. Thought I had another U joint gone bad!

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

That's what you get for letting 6 year olds drive your truck ;) jk

And in other news.... Bet I found the source ;)

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Mon May 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Just did the rear U joints. A couple of them were pretty much full of needle bearing dust. Sound is virtually unnoticeable now. I didn't replace the drive shaft balancing weight just yet but at some point I'll get back under there and stick a wheel weight on there or something and JB weld it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”