P1757

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

P1757

Postby BMXPath » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Driving home Sunday after dropping my boat off to storage and I get the check engine light on. I had just passed an Advance Auto Parts, so I turned around and went back to borrow their scanner tool. After turning around, I try to accelerate and it feels like the trans is slipping. Engine is revving up but the Pathy is hardly moving forward. It struggles to accelerate to about 40 mph and then it kinda feels like normal.

Anyway, I run the scan and get a code "P1757"... something to do with a governor pressure switch?

Talked to a friend of mine at my Nissan dealer who I do alot of business with thru the Body shop I work at. He talked to one of his techs and it looks like I might have to replace the valve body.

I dropped the trans pan tonight. Pics and more info to come...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: P1757

Postby eieio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 pm

BMXPath wrote:I dropped the trans pan tonight. Pics and more info to come...
:? trans pan? :?

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 am

subscribed. let us know more.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Update: I havent fixed my Pathy yet. Waiting on the valve body to come in special order from the dealer.

Here are pics from the pan removal...

When I pulled the drain plug, I let the transmission fluid drain thru a coffee filter to see what was there besides fluid. Looks pretty damn clean for a 125,000 mile transmission!

Next two pics are the bottom of the pan, and a close up of the two magnets. Debris looks about normal.

View of the valve body still in the transmission. NOTICE the obvious strainer/ filter attached! All this time we thought there wasnt one!

Next two pics show both sides of the strainer. Also looks very clean. The few shiny spots that can be seen are some points on the metal backing reflecting thru the screen material.

View of valve body with the strainer removed.

I should get the valve body tomorrow. I will take more pics and post on the progress then...

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Be carefull when you swap valve bodies....the bolts are different lengths (usually 3 lengths)

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Tech wrote:Be carefull when you swap valve bodies....the bolts are different lengths (usually 3 lengths)
Tech... Thank you. I always appreciate your info and advice.

Well, I am finally gonna start the repair this evening. I just finished my 6 day work week, and I am off tomorrow. If I dont finish working on the Pathy tonight, I will be able to work on it tomorrow.

Below are some pics of the new valve body. Interesting, to say the least. Btw, one reason these things are so expensive is because the valve body and TCM are one unit. Retail price from my local Dealer is $990.03.

The solenoids are facing upwards when the valve body is installed. I didnt know what they looked like til I got the new valve body.

It comes with a new screen filter.

Notice the Mitsubishi "Diamond" on one of the solenoids.

Stay tuned...

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Here is the bottom of the trans with the valve body off.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 am

Anytime! Good luck with the install!

I like to hold up a bolt diagram with a magnet on the chassis somewhere to refer to as I work.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Tech,

I am just about done with it. I should be able to start her up this evening and see if I blew 800 bucks or not.

Is the valve body install a "plug and play"? Or does the new TCM need programming?

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:50 pm

UPDATE:

I finished Sunday night and the transmission is fixed and working fine. I am glad. This was an expensive gamble but the diagnosis seemed pretty cut and dry.
Replacing the valve body/ TCM wasnt too bad of a job. Physically, doing the fuel sending unit was more difficult.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Good Job. It looked pretty clean in there, even the magnets.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 pm

:) well done BMXPath!
thank you for the pictures & narrative

Pathmyway

Postby Pathmyway » Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Very nice. Pretty sure I have the same truck and I need the same part

jrobers

2006 Pathy

Postby jrobers » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm in the same boat. My 2006 Pathfinder popped 2 codes P1759 and P1757. Before my extended warranty expired I replaced my radiator, and did a drain and fill on the transmission fluid. There was no sign of the anitfreeze in my transmission. A few days ago I was driving along and stepped on the gas to pass someone she kicked down a gear and I passed the guy but she never changed gears again. The engine light came on and she seemed to stay in 4th gear. Now I have the choice of replacing the TCM for about 1k at a reputable shop and possibly still having to replace the tranny. I'm going to pay the 1k to replace the TCM and hope that fixes this.

highlinetransmission

Postby highlinetransmission » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:18 pm

We have found that nearly always P1757 and P1759 (and limp mode as a result) are signs that there is an electrical issue in the valve body. We always inspect EXternal wiring, but it seems that it invariably is INternal to the valve body. Even small amounts of moisture seem to make these valve bodies act up. Thankfully the transmission going into 'limp' mode generally prevents folks from destroying their transmission internals.

As part of replacing the valve body we flush the transmission and address Nissan's Radiator/Transmission Cooler boondoggle by a) bypassing the radiator-based cooler and use just the factory auxiliary cooler or b) (For folks who tow or haul) Bypass the radiator-based cooler and add an after-market trans cooler in addition to the factory auxiliary cooler, preventing further comingling.

Kurt
Last edited by highlinetransmission on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”