Squeaky Front End - 2008 Pathdfinder

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Bandy1080

Squeaky Front End - 2008 Pathdfinder

Postby Bandy1080 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:00 am

I have a 2008 Pathfinder LE w/50k miles.

Over the past month or so I have noticed that when going slow over bumps or through my parking garage there is a very obvious and annoying squeaking noise coming from my front shocks. Not noticeable when going at higher speeds. But nonetheless it is quite annoying and makes the pathy sound like a piece of junk. Any idea what it is and how it can be fixed? I hope I don't need new shocks or struts.

Thanks

Bandy

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:37 am

I've had a squeak that comes/goes as well. My sway-bar bushings are shot so that may be the culprit. I'm at 50k miles as well but drive some very twisty/hilly roads (and drive them hard) so I'm not suprised to get some bushing wear. There are several bushings under there but I can't replicate the sound unless the vehicle is in motion.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 16, 2011 11:42 am

I would double check your shocks, but my thoughts would be the sway bar bushings. They take alot of abuse along with the shocks, but from my past expierence, the sway bar bushings wear out before you will hear noise from the shocks.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue May 17, 2011 9:51 am

I've had the same thing on mine, which started a little less than a year after it was purchased. I've sprayed the crap out of both front springs, but to no avail. I'm still thinking it is either the springs or the swaybar bushings. Springs typically have a rubber coating near both ends & often a plastic insert. Once you have metal on metal grinding, that's when noises will appear.

I haven't crawled underneath to look, but are there just 2 rubber bushings, or are there more? All I found was this:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/54034-seat ... _6916_6918&

If anyone knows the exact dimensions of our swaybars & fittings, could you post the sizes here? Whenever I've had noise in the past, I've replaced with Energy's poly bushings. Does it look like they have something that would work:

http://www.energysuspension.com/product ... hings.html

JC Whitney also lists a pair of poly bushings for $15.99, so I'll probably order those and see if it helps.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 am

There's a lot of rubber parts under there that could be making the noise. Mine is def a rubber type squeak, just can't figure out where it's coming from. Only does it when wheel is compressed up. Does it when pulling into/out of garage but it very sporadic. Hasn't done it in a couple weeks.

These are the bushings that are shot on mine:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/54613-bush ... _6916_6918&

I can see they're squeezed and worn, but can't tell if they're making noise or not. There's a post around here somewhere that someone measured their sway bar. Looking at the Dee Engineering website looks like you need to know the measurements on the brackets as well.

bwareheim

Postby bwareheim » Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 am

I have had squeaks when i go over bumps too. I thought it was underneath but I heard it was the front hood squeaking and all you have to do is grease up the arms. Worked for me.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am

bwareheim wrote:I have had squeaks when i go over bumps too. I thought it was underneath but I heard it was the front hood squeaking and all you have to do is grease up the arms. Worked for me.
Nice. That's another area to check. Thanks for the input.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue May 17, 2011 4:11 pm

there is an ETSB for sway bar bushings if you wanna start there....

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 pm

had same problem. sway bar bushings

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 am

mar1 wrote:had same problem. sway bar bushings
Did you replace with OEM or try the aftermarket poly discussed above?

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:58 am

I had a squeaking that I couldn't figure out for the life of me... come to find out, it was the hood latch. Oiled it up and I never heard it again.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 am

Tech wrote:there is an ETSB for sway bar bushings if you wanna start there....
I don't have a subscription to see the actual bulletin, but here's the lowdown:

IF YOU CONFIRM A noise (clunking, squeaking, popping) can be heard when performing at least one of the following actions: - turning the steering wheel left or right - driving over speed bumps - driving on rough roads - accelerating or decelerating AND The noise is coming from the front stabilizer bar bushing. ACTIONS Replace the front stabilizer bar bushing on both sides (RH & LH) with the part listed in the Parts Information section of this bulletin. - Refer to the FSUsection of the applicable Electronic Service Manual (ESM) for removal and installation instructions. - Before installing the new bushings, use Nissan Brake Cleaner (or equivalent) to clean the stabilizer bar where the bushings make contact. See Fig ure 1 on page 2. See this bulletin for further detail.

Question is, do they have a new part number for the bushings?

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am

yup, new part #'s. I can get them for you if needed (i'm on a different computer right now). If you can find aftermarket, be warned...."performance" urethane can be squeakier

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 am

skinny2 wrote:
mar1 wrote:had same problem. sway bar bushings
Did you replace with OEM or try the aftermarket poly discussed above?
OEM under warranty

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:10 pm

I'd like to know the part numbers. I would assume they've updated all the parts with the replacements...but you know what assume starts with. I was going to order these from Courtesy online as I linked above.

Tech: I PM'd you awhile back about my HVAC problem....did you see that or just ignoring me? No problem either way, won't bug you if so.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”