R51 trail meet? I'll bring the S'mores...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Kyson

R51 trail meet? I'll bring the S'mores...

Postby Kyson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:59 pm

This may seem silly, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.
I'm getting ready to drive cross country to Las Vegas in a few weeks to attend a huge M5 weekend for enthusiasts from all over the US. It started as an idea on our M5board, and grew to an event with over 150 cars registered to go. There are now business sponsors and will be track events, cruises, and the general camaraderie of socializing with like minded "M" enthusiasts. People from all over the US are coming, some from Canada and one or two from Europe are flying in. It promises to be a great time.

I've been thinking that a gathering of R51 4WD enthusiasts might enjoy a similar meet somewhere in Colorado, Southern Utah, CA, Alabama or wherever for a an offroad/trailride themed event (ala a jeep jamboree but on a smaller scale). Its a bunch of work to put together for sure, and maybe we don't have the same cadre of hard core enthusiasts that turn out for racing related events in car circles, but I thought I might at least propose the idea. Might be fun. And I'd drive cross country for that as well... we are already trying to meet some friends from AZ in Colorado sometime this next year for just such a get together - trail running and some kayaking.

Doesn't have to be this year, doesn't have to be extravagant or have sponsors, etc... may even just be an informal long weekend. Heck... maybe it would be for any year of Pathfinder... though I am biased to seeing a few R51s out there. Maybe there is already such an event and I haven't seen it. Maybe a local Nissan dealer sponsors such a thing already (like the one in France referenced in another thread) and we just attend that.

Is this worthy of discussion?

geoffstgermaine

Postby geoffstgermaine » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm actually heading to Vegas at the end of March for a couple of weeks with the PF. If something were happening somewhere on the way at that time I'd be in. I know it's unlikely, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:46 am

i live in vegas, so i will almost always be up for something if it is near here. and as for a r51 meet up, i'm in...so long as it is a dog friendly local.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: R51 trail meet? I'll bring the S'mores...

Postby blink32 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 am

Kyson wrote: Maybe there is already such an event and I haven't seen it. Maybe a local Nissan dealer sponsors such a thing already (like the one in France referenced in another thread) and we just attend that.
Not quite the same as what you are speaking of and definitely not like the Jeep Jamboree's but a dealer out here in NJ usually has a big Nissan meet. It's been 2 years running, usually in the late spring or summer months. There was supposed to be a mild off-road track built on-site in time but only the road track was finished.

Ridiculously far for pretty much everyone but supposedly it's a pretty good time. I think we're stuck with regional meets at best for now.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:38 am

I've been thinking that a gathering of R51 4WD enthusiasts might enjoy a similar meet...
What? Only 4WD?
How about a R51 enthusiast meeting, no matter if it is a 2WD or 4WD?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:49 am

I'm still hashing out dates, but I'm looking at the end of March, maybe the week after Easter, for my annual Death Valley trip. Once I have exact dates on my end, I'll post them. Seems a couple of you will be in the area then, so that may be a good opportunity to meet up.

Jim, since you live in Vegas, you should plan on hitting DV for at least 1 weekend when I'm there. Not sure if you've been there before, but I do know a few places to do some sightseeing. Even with the 1.75" lift, I don't think I'd want to try Mengel Pass though.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:08 am

thx for the invite NVS..will do my best to meet up somewhere (DVNP is only a few hours at most for me, so that should be a real possibility...given that i do some research there, i might be able to add something also)

never been thru the panaments, so i dunno much about mengel. is it a point of no turn issue or can it be driven to and bailed on if it looks sketchy? i searched quickly online and it didn't appear too bad until the rains of 2005 altered some of the trail. regardless...until i get some better shoes and some underbody armor, i will be a bit 'timid' w/ my pathy (def doesn't have the g/c of my old t4r and it has a bit longer wheelbase)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:32 am

guinnessjim wrote: never been thru the panaments, so i dunno much about mengel. is it a point of no turn issue or can it be driven to and bailed on if it looks sketchy?
You can bail easily enough. I did the same last year just short of the pass itself. Not enough clearance & crappy tires didn't help. Just driving out to that point is fun enough, so it may still be worthwhile.
i searched quickly online and it didn't appear too bad until the rains of 2005 altered some of the trail. regardless...until i get some better shoes and some underbody armor, i will be a bit 'timid' w/ my pathy (def doesn't have the g/c of my old t4r and it has a bit longer wheelbase)
It does change from day to day (storm to storm). There are only a handful of really nasty sections where clearance is key, along with some super thick, heavy duty skids. I could have attempted it in my stock OR, but it would have been a very long day, and I doubt I could have made it through without scrapes, dents or scratches of some sort.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Here's one of the little sections close to the pass (taken from http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/s ... 484&page=0)

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:35 pm

looks bony, but not too bad....def not something i'd be comfortable w/o skids on a new truck (maybe some sliders are in order too). hard 2 tell 4 sure w/o seeing the whole trail, but looks like it could be done high left w/ a cross to the middle at the top.

wish i'd gone up there w/ my old truck tho :wink:

geoffstgermaine

Postby geoffstgermaine » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Coincidentally I was planning to go out to Death Valley while I'm in Vegas. I'll be there between the 21st and 28th of March.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Oh this could get amusing. That's Spring Break week for my kids, and we were generally planning a camping trip in Joshua Tree from the 25th to the 30th. I could see cutting it a little short and heading up to DV and doing a little off-road adventure with you all on the 28th or 29th...

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't know if you guys ride at all but that's a KTM adventure with a factory ground clearance of about 12"

I wouldn't touch that without full plating, OME, and 33"s
Body work is spensive, bike parts are relitively cheaper. That and there is nothing faster out on the trails than a bike, roll protection sucks tho.

rragpaoa

Sounds Great!

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Hey Guys,

I have been a long time lurker and occasional poster back in the days when I had my 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4. I had since turned it in last October since my lease expired, but ended up purchasing a brand new V8 LE 4x4. No more lease since I really liked my Pathy (2005 had some quirks).
So, count me in. I'm available the end of March through first week of April, so let me know.
I live in the San Diego area, so driving up shouldn't be a problem.

Just to let you guys know, I have the OME, Shrockworks skids and sliders, as well as 265/65 18 (32" tires). Should be able to tackle the rough stuff since I did a lot of it with my original 2005 Pathy.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Nice to see your back, now post some pics of the wheels and tires.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”