Just in Case You didnt want to Do the Bypass.....

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Now hold on....trans/rad question

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:49 pm

rannunziato wrote:I was told the "fail" only occurs when the rad and trans fluids are old, spoil and become acidic. The acidic fluid eats away at the solder of the trans cooler located inside the main radiator and causes the fluid exchange. If you change out the fluids and keep them "fresh" the problem most likely won't occur. Please advise because I'm @ 97K, and just changed both fluids which were not compromised, yet?
You were misinformed. The problem is that a seal in the radiator's integral cooler fails and causes the leak and subsequent cross-contamination. There is a YouTube video where they cut open the lower tank on a failed radiator and removed the cooler. They installed hoses on the ends of the cooler and placed the cooler in a tank of water. The pressurized the cooler with air and you can clearly see where the leak is occurring at the seal. It has nothing to do with maintenance.

rannunziato

Now hold on....trans/rad question

Postby rannunziato » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 pm

How is this not a manufacturing defect?? I had an 06, now have an 08 V-8, I love it, but this issue is clearly a MD. Thank you for the feedback, can you provide the youtube link so I can see for myself? Also, I guess I have to figure in a new rad...Kinda pissed....We owners need to file a class action LS against Nissan....Anyone know how to get in touch with Ralph Nadar?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Now hold on....trans/rad question

Postby eieio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm

rannunziato wrote:How is this not a manufacturing defect?? I had an 06, now have an 08 V-8, I love it, but this issue is clearly a MD. Thank you for the feedback, can you provide the youtube link so I can see for myself? Also, I guess I have to figure in a new rad...Kinda pissed....We owners need to file a class action LS against Nissan....Anyone know how to get in touch with Ralph Nadar?
it IS a manufacturing defect
it is covered by the original warranty, as well as the extended warranty for this specific problem: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=21
this was Nissans' solution for the problem, and so far, there is no further consideration that i'm aware of
and Ralph's last name is spelled "Nader"
here's a link to his website: https://nader.org/
lotsa luck!

rannunziato

Postby rannunziato » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:53 pm

I stand corrected, I should have said recall. Doesn't seem fair the consumer should have to pay anything for an obvious engineering design flaw... wear and failure are completely different.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:23 pm

There already are class action law suits. One of them was in NY State, which prompted the extension of the original 8yr/80000 mile extension to 100,000 miles, which limited costs to $2500 from 80001 miles to 90000 miles and limit of $3500 from 90001 miles to 100,000 miles.
The issue was being investigated by the NHTSA to see if the matter was a safety issue and should prompt a recall. As far as I know, the still haven't made a decision on the matter.
I no longer have the link to the vid where they removed the cooler and tested it under water. It's definitely a manufacturer defect. The problem is that manufacturer defects are covered under the warranty limitations of that part. Thankfully, the problem seems to be only occurring in the factory installed, Calsonic radiators during that area and not the aftermarket units.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:31 pm

rannunziato wrote:I stand corrected, I should have said recall. Doesn't seem fair the consumer should have to pay anything for an obvious engineering design flaw... wear and failure are completely different.
it's not a design flaw
there are hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road, some of them R51s, that have the same type of system, and are having no trouble with it
it's a manufacturing flaw, that does not necessarily affect all units, only those that received a poorly manufactured radiator
this is what warranties & extended warranties are for
should NHTSA decide that it is a safety related defect, they may force Nissan to implement a recall campaign
at this point in time, that has not happened
as for the future.......maybe it will (I wouldn't count on it)
stay tuned, as the rest of us have

rannunziato

Postby rannunziato » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm

So now what? Do I monitor or go pro-active and preventive. The V-8 looks like a huge rad. and with huge comes $. I do have the tow package with additional external trans cooler fan....Which fluid do I monitor? Trans dip stick or coolant, or both? Which shows problem first?

Thoroughly confused and bummed. Might fail, might not, no way to know or tell.....

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 pm

rannunziato wrote:So now what? Do I monitor or go pro-active and preventive. The V-8 looks like a huge rad. and with huge comes $. I do have the tow package with additional external trans cooler fan....Which fluid do I monitor? Trans dip stick or coolant, or both? Which shows problem first?

Thoroughly confused and bummed. Might fail, might not, no way to know or tell.....
no, there really is no way to know or tell
..........assess your options & make a decision
1) do nothing & wait
2) bypass the internal cooler
3) replace the radiator
4) ?

rannunziato

Postby rannunziato » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:07 am

If I bypass the internal, I would need to add a second external cooler?

I don't want to lose the primary (internal) and secondary (external) ability to cool trans fluid while towing. I pull 6k lbs and can't afford a fail of that magnitude. Please advise.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:13 am

rannunziato wrote:If I bypass the internal, I would need to add a second external cooler?

I don't want to lose the primary (internal) and secondary (external) ability to cool trans fluid while towing. I pull 6k lbs and can't afford a fail of that magnitude. Please advise.
replace the radiator :wink:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:26 am

rannunziato wrote:So now what? Do I monitor or go pro-active and preventive. The V-8 looks like a huge rad. and with huge comes $. I do have the tow package with additional external trans cooler fan....Which fluid do I monitor? Trans dip stick or coolant, or both? Which shows problem first?

You can get a Denso radiator for your vehicle for $99 (Denso is owned by Toyota and is a quality brand). Add a gallon of anti-freeze and some distilled water....problem solved.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:58 am

rannunziato wrote:If I bypass the internal, I would need to add a second external cooler?

I also tow heavy so I'm in the same situation. I waited until close to 80K (end of mfg warranty that covers 100%) and am now putting in a new rad. As smj mentioned below, the Denso option is not expensive. That is what is getting put in mine today. Since you need a coolant flush at 100K, a new rad at 80K takes care of the flush a little early and the price difference between the two is not that much.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:12 pm

AZ_Path keep an eye on that radiator fluid level after the new install they tend to trap lots of air until it works its way out.

madmat

Postby madmat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 am

Well I just bought a certified preowned 2011....my first Niassan....and this thread is bumming me out bad. I have a weird 1kRPM/40MPH vibration going on.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:36 am

madmat wrote:Well I just bought a certified preowned 2011....my first Niassan....and this thread is bumming me out bad. I have a weird 1kRPM/40MPH vibration going on.
The '11 was supposed to be after that radiator was updated, so you should be good there. I'd probably still keep an eye on it. If the fluids aren't mixed, you're fine. The weird 40mph thing is pretty normal actually if you look around. Mine has done it since new and still at 140k miles. I rarely drive that speed/rpm though so it's not a problem but you could manually downshift to keep the revs up.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”