Hi, my name is Carl, I just got a used V8 and...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm

BTW, I did some testing using a GPS based mileage tool on my smartphone over the weekend to compare against my odometer's mileage, and it was low by a predictable 7.25%, caused by my 33" tires which have a 7% longer circumference than the stock tires.

So, Speedo reads 7% low (70MPH is actually 73-74MPH)

Odometer reads 7% low (299 mile long road trip read 278.78 miles on the OD)

Also therefore the MPG computer readout will be 7% low, which means my 16.something highway number after upgrading my tires is actually closer 18MPG. Good to know :D

Sure wish the built in GPS would automatically correct all this... :roll:

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 pm

RacerZX wrote:rragpaoa my friend! Good to hear from you, been a long time since our big group trip around Death Valley.

When the auto transfer case is locked in 4-hi, does that mean the AWD system is just working full-time, or is there a physical gear that engages to lock it for real? I hope and expect the latter...

I bet there's no MPG difference, I'll have to test that... :wink:

I saw your other thread on changing the gearing, very interesting, I'll think about doing that in due course...and I love your bumper and air locker setup, fantastic stuff. BTW how did you do the air pump for the locker?
Love your newest pic. Truck looks mean.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, we should plan another trip this year, either DV, Borrego Springs. I have more time this year.
4Hi is completely locked. I use 4-AUTO in rain or snow, and 4hi/4lo out in the trails. Honestly, never really measured MPG with/without AUTO. But I like being able to turn it on to give the rest of the passengers the 'confidence' syndrome when the "Beep" sounds in adverse weather :wink:

For the air compressor, I moved the horn from the front of the air filter box and mounted the compressor there. Take a look at my old thread for the placement.

Looking forward to seeing your rig when done.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:04 pm

My kids are totally bugging me about doing an off-road trip in the new truck...maybe this summer some time, I've always wanted to expirience Death Valley at 120F+ :twisted:

Ordered up an Optima Yellow Top D35 for $175 with free shipping from Amazon, sweet.

Also my new heavy duty rear springs arrived, but it'll probably be 1-2 months before I have a weekend to play around with them (seeing if I can cut it down to bring the ride height close to stock without making it unstable on the spring perch).

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:58 pm

I have the Optima Yellow since I run a winch and an ARB fridge. I would go all night running the fridge and the truck start right away in the morning.

Also, why not just order the OME rear springs instead of cutting one to fit?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm not aware of anyone making OEM ride height higher-rate springs, for OME all I see is "medium" and "heavy" duty, not sure what that really means...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 am

RacerZX wrote:I'm not aware of anyone making OEM ride height higher-rate springs, for OME all I see is "medium" and "heavy" duty, not sure what that really means...
I don't think anyone makes a beefier spring in the stock length. The OME medium & heavy duty are the same length, just different spring rates (heavy duty for a bumper/winch add-on, etc.), or so I've been told by ARB.

Seriously, Carl, I say go for the OME springs. I know you've said in the past that you don't want a lift, but just consider this a better driving perspective & a far more confidence inspiring ride. The difference between the OEM and OME springs is huge, most notably when going over bumps. I don't think you'll find one single person on this forum, or elsewhere, who hasn't been satisfied with the OME springs.

PS-You DON'T want to be in DV when it's hot. I've been there in 126 F temps & it really, really sucked. Just opening the car door and hopping outside is a 40-50 F jump in temp. I'm good up to 110 F, after that it is just too damned hot to hike or do anything outside.

rragpaoa, long time my man! I'll be hitting DV again right after Easter this year, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have yet. We'll be making a day trip to Bodie, and then I'll probably be in DV for another 2 days. Let me know if you, Carl, or anyone else wants to possibly hook up again for a day in the dirt.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:52 pm

I'd love to upgrade my springs, but here's my issue:

Literally I have between .5 and 1" of clearance between my garage door and the roof of the truck after installing my 285s. It can't be any taller. With air-bags inflated it won't fit :P

You're doing your traditional spring break in DV eh? Awesome, wish we could come but we already have plans for the week.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Carl, just out of curiousity is the rear window wiper in that garage picture mounted on the top of the window and swings down? Just wondering when they changed it from mounted on the bottom of the rear window.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

that looks to be the rear glass supporter with a nice shadow of the garage frame

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

RacerZX wrote: Literally I have between .5 and 1" of clearance between my garage door and the roof of the truck after installing my 285s. It can't be any taller. With air-bags inflated it won't fit :P
The few times I'm allowed into the garage, I still have a few inches of clearance, although not in the warmer months when I have the kayak racks up top.

Simple solution: deflate your tires. I'm sure you have a compressor in there that you could use :)
You're doing your traditional spring break in DV eh? Awesome, wish we could come but we already have plans for the week.
Yep, same place, same time. I'm hoping to swing an extra day or two for the trip, but I just don't know yet. Since the Sierra have been bone dry this winter, it will be the perfect opportunity to get my good friend out to see Bodie. Otherwise, he would never see the place on his own. If rragpaoa can make it out for a day, maybe I'll bring down the Xterra and see how it handles, although the gf may not like that idea too much.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Just had my local dealer install the v8.5 2012 navigation update, took them 3 hours though they only charged me for 1. *@#$*

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:55 pm

mar1 wrote:that looks to be the rear glass supporter with a nice shadow of the garage frame
That's what looking at it on my iPhone will do... Just too small haha! thanks for embarrassing me! (yeah yeah i embarrassed myself)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:33 pm

RacerZX wrote:Just had my local dealer install the v8.5 2012 navigation update, took them 3 hours though they only charged me for 1. *@#$*
Did you buy the software online or through the dealer also?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 am

You buy it online, get an activation code, and go to the dealer for the actual software update. http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERS ... erica-Site

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:57 pm

NVSteve wrote: rragpaoa, long time my man! I'll be hitting DV again right after Easter this year, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have yet. We'll be making a day trip to Bodie, and then I'll probably be in DV for another 2 days. Let me know if you, Carl, or anyone else wants to possibly hook up again for a day in the dirt.
Hey NVSteve! Yeah, I'm very interested in DV this spring. May do some hiking near Bishop after as well.

Carl, 4x4Parts has a spring that is close to stock. I believe IcedTeasely confirmed it in one of the threads. I agree with Steve though, I would go the OME route. The springs will settle down a bit in a few months, so it will lower a bit. Also, once your fully loaded, you will appreciate the the OME a lot more. I've noticed you have a bit more space above the garage door unit itself, so mabybe a taller garage door unit? Yeah, I know that's another $500-$800, but hey, at least your Pathy stays indoors.
Last edited by rragpaoa on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”