2007 Pathfinder transmission bypass or aftermarket rad

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:57 pm

The fact that the tank is plastic is not the issue, just a poorly designed bottom tank cooler by Calsonic. Nissan has been using plastic radiator tanks since the 80's and most if not all of them made by Calsonic or Kanto-Seiko, which are now combined into the company named, "Calsonic Kansei." Nissan never had radiator issues until 2004 (in the Titan/Armada) and 2005 ( in the Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontier). The radiator has since been updated and has a new Nissan part number: 21460-9CA25 ( superceding 21460-EA215). Currently, the NHTSA is looking into the matter and there may be a recall in the not so far off future. For that reason, the "bypass" may be the thing to do. If you do wish to replace the radiator (as I did), keep your receipts as recalls will often provide for reimbursement for replacement prior to the issue of the recall.

As far as replacement options, there are many. The genuine Nissan part MSRP's for $543, but 1stAAANissanParts.com offers it for $411+shipping. The "best" radiator may be the all-aluminum radiator being made by Griffin Radiators. One of the Xterra forums has a group buy of this radiator for around $550. A lot of people like the Spectra Premium radiators made in Canada. Rockauto.com has Spectra Premium #CU2807 for $138 +shipping. Personally, I opted for a "made in China" radiator with a lifetime warranty that I found on Ebay for $90 incl. shipping. It's been in my '06 Pathy LE for a few months and I've had no problems. The fit was perfect. The only thing I noticed different was the drain plug had a different thread and used an "O" ring instead of the flat gasket that Nissan uses. I actually replaced the "O" ring gasket with the Nissan type and it fit perfectly. I also purchased four new foam seals for the radiator, figuring the others would be torn up or in poor condition, which they were.

Another option is the type of anti-freeze! You can go with genuine Nissan "green" coolant as was originally installed. Nissan now has a longer-life, "blue" coolant that can be mixed safely with the "green" that you may not be able to drain out fully. Then there are a number of aftermarket "one-color-fits-all" antifreezes like Prestone or Peak (which also makes Walmart's Syntech coolant).

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:10 am

SMJ,

My 05 has rad PN 21460-EA265.

Any ideas? I have the repair records from the previous owner, but don't seem to recall the rad having been replaced. We purchased in July of 08.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:46 pm

There are a couple of people who have reported that they have the 21460-EA265 part number on their radiator, although that number doesn't show up in the Nissan catalog when you look it up. It's the original radiator to your vehicle. At some point, Nissan updated the radiators but still kept them under the 21460-EA215 part numbers. Only the radiators with the "-9CA25" part numbers can we be sure of are the updated part.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:45 pm

The issue with the Griffin radiator is the cost, being over $500 even with the "group buy." I don't see how it's going to provide any more room, though, or be lighter. You have any specs on this?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:14 am

smj999smj wrote:Another option is the type of anti-freeze! You can go with genuine Nissan "green" coolant as was originally installed. Nissan now has a longer-life, "blue" coolant that can be mixed safely with the "green" that you may not be able to drain out fully. Then there are a number of aftermarket "one-color-fits-all" antifreezes like Prestone or Peak (which also makes Walmart's Syntech coolant).
I've been running Honda Premix in my Pathy for about 3 years now. It is colored blue. Its silicate and borate free, and based on my reading, has been used by many Nissan enthusiasts for years.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 pm

I wonder how the Honda "blue" antifreeze compares with the Nissan "blue" antifreeze? Or, if it's just the same stuff with a different label?

PathyRaffy

Postby PathyRaffy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:20 am

smj999smj wrote:There are a couple of people who have reported that they have the 21460-EA265 part number on their radiator, although that number doesn't show up in the Nissan catalog when you look it up. It's the original radiator to your vehicle. At some point, Nissan updated the radiators but still kept them under the 21460-EA215 part numbers. Only the radiators with the "-9CA25" part numbers can we be sure of are the updated part.
Just bought a used '08 Pathfinder SE 4x4 with nearly 43,000 miles on it from a local dealer (it was a trade-in). Vehicle is pretty clean, has six month old Michelin Cross Terrains with less than 5K on them, and feels/sounds solid. (Subjective, I know, but we've been looking for a clean used "utility" wagon/van/SUV for nearly a year now, and I've seen a lot of vehicles that felt/sounded pretty darn rickety -- or had been obviously neglected/abused -- even with low miles. The '06 Highlander V6 with 50K miles that had its headgasket replaced for "severe leaking" comes to mind; or the '09 Pilot with all sorts of weird noises coming from under the hood, despite having only 31K miles on the odometer.)

Curiously, though, the radiator in the new to me Pathy appears to have been replaced with a "Performance Radiator" model 2997, mfg by "Alexon." Transmission and coolant look ok per my own (admittedly unprofessional) visual inspection (no "milkshake").

Anyone familiar with this radiator? Quick online search indicates that it sells for about $160 from Performance Radiator directly (they have a Honolulu location), and $130 on e-bay. I would hope it is at least as good as the OEM (bad as it may or may not be).

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am

Alexon is a sister to Radicon. Both make a number of different cooling system products and are based in Thailand. Alexon has been around since 1994 and has, at times, supplied radiators to a number of Asian manufacturers, including Honda, UD (Nissan Diesel), Mitsubishi, and a number of motorcycle manufacturers. They also make heater cores, intercoolers and oil coolers. I would feel safer with the Alexon radiator than I would with the original Nissan part.

PathyRaffy

Postby PathyRaffy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm

smj999smj wrote:Alexon is a sister to Radicon. Both make a number of different cooling system products and are based in Thailand. Alexon has been around since 1994 and has, at times, supplied radiators to a number of Asian manufacturers, including Honda, UD (Nissan Diesel), Mitsubishi, and a number of motorcycle manufacturers. They also make heater cores, intercoolers and oil coolers. I would feel safer with the Alexon radiator than I would with the original Nissan part.
Great, thanks for the information! I was a little surprised by how little information there was on the net about Alexon other than its own website (though Performance Radiator's Honolulu shop gets good Yelp reviews). I'll keep an eye on it, but in the meantime, I'm looking forward to the new truckster.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Try this link for more info on Alexon:
http://www.radicon.co.th/attachments/00 ... c-2009.pdf

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”