Can someone please make sure i did the bypass correct

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

t0pnotch1

Can someone please make sure i did the bypass correct

Postby t0pnotch1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:20 pm

i just purchased my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 80k miles and heard all these transmission issues. So before it goes bad, can someone make sure i did this correctly. I am not looking to tow anything or go off roading, just a safe family car.

I followed the steps on the video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOuf6kUPTHc

PHOTO DETAILS:

Image 1:
I took the hose on the radiator closest to the oil filter (white circle) and swapped the hose (red circle)...

Image 2:
The hose (red circle) is now going from one end of the radiator and connecting back to the other side of the radiator...

Image 3:
The hose that was originally connected to the radiator (coming from the top of the engine) closest to the oil filter in Image 1, is now connected to the (transmission)?

Image 4:
Is this normal? The car's (oil temp or trans temp?) not sure which one is already above half and i just started the car...

any help is appreciated, thanks

yellowbug

Postby yellowbug » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 pm

It would be safer for your tranny if you got an aftermarket trans cooler from autozone or some where similar that bypasses the stock one but will still cool your fluid. You would just need longer lines and a way to make it stay in front of your radiator.

Here is one I found online.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... /_/N-6o2r6

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:59 pm

looks about right.

you dont need an aftermarket cooler. i've been running with just the factory external cooler.

t0pnotch1

adding a cooler

Postby t0pnotch1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:02 pm

So far is the setup okay and will it be okay for temporary driving? maybe until next week...

also if i get the product below: how would i install this?
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/ ... 1/image/4/

Will it eventually connect to something like this? I was planning on zip tying the cooler somewhere (Does it have to be in front of the radiator?)

t0pnotch1

Postby t0pnotch1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:07 pm

disallow wrote:looks about right.

you dont need an aftermarket cooler. i've been running with just the factory external cooler.
Will that be okay, i am from Chicago and our weather changes from -10 degrees to 101..

yellowbug

Postby yellowbug » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:16 pm

The trans cooler that is connected with your radiator is not an external the one you put up a minute ago will work great.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Bug,

The 05+ pathy has 2 transmission coolers installed from stock. We are trying to bypass the one in the rad. Many have found that the remaining un-bypassed cooler is sufficient, and no supplemental cooling is required.

Have a read on the applicable posts.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 pm

If you're living in Chicago and see temperatures of 10 below, you would be alot better off replacing the radiator than doing the bypass. Part of the function of the radiator integral cooler, other than cooling the fluid, is to warm it up to operating temperature quicker and maintain it at "normal operating temperature." Normal operating temperature of ATF (in the pan) should be 175-200 degrees F. Minimum operating temperature should be 150 degrees F. With only the auxilary cooler being used and in very cold temperatures, I'd be concerned about over-cooling the trans fluid. I priced an aftermarket radiator yesterday on Ebay (radiatorclassic) for under $80 including shipping.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 pm

smj,

I'm in a much colder environment than Chicago (-22C today), honestly no difference in shifting between bypassed vs not bypassed. I have a tough time believing the heating would have any input other than during the first 2-5 minutes of operation.

Also, there is no data showing that a rad from ebay is any less susceptible to a failure than what I already have.

Thats why i haven't taken your route yet, though I've come close a few times.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Issues with automatic transmission fluid are two-fold. For one, it can prevent the trans from entering lock-up if the fluid temp sensor is seeing the transmission fluid as being to cold. Second, if the fluid does not reach proper operating temperature, it will not burn off condensation that occurs inside the transmission. WHile it is easy to say that despite it being cold, the transmission fluid must be warming up to proper temperature because the transmission is shifting fine, it is impossible to tell unless you have install a gauge to monitor the transmission fluid temperature.

As far as the statement, "there is no data showing that a rad from ebay is any less susceptible to a failure than what I already have," this is true; there is no such data. In fact, any vehicle with a radiator that has an integral trans cooler or engine oil cooler "could" potentially experience a failure resulting in cross-contamination of coolant and oil or transmission fluid. That said, integral coolers is not by any means a new idea; they've been used reliably for decades. I'm not sure what the first year was that had an integral trans cooler, but I do know they've been using them for over fifty years. I started working as a Nissan tech in 1985 and had never seen an integral cooler fail on a Nissan vehicle until the 2005 models. They issue we're seeing is not of the fact that the 2005-2010 Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers used an integral mounted cooler for the transmission fluid, but that Calsonic-Kansei made either a poorly designed cooler or had an issue of their manufacturing of those radiators. Ironically, the Pathfinders made in Spain for the European market have had no issues with the radiator cooler. I don't have any concerns of the aftermarket radiator that I installed. For those that have concerns of installing a "made in China" part, radiators from Canada's Spectra Premium can be found for around $160-170. If money is no object, I hear Griffen Radiators is making an all-aluminum unit for around $550, which is about the same as the list price for the "updated" plastic-tanked radiator from Nissan.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 am

The gauge you have circled is the oil pressure gauge. Since you've got an 05 this oil pressure gauge shows real time data verus the "dummy" oil pressure gauge found on later models. So at idle it should be somewhere in the middle like yours is showing. The gauge will fluctuate somewhat based on engine rpm. Just watch it next time you drive and you'll see what normal pressure is.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 am

I certainly don't live in a super cold environment. I've had an issue with my transmission since I bought mine, and it deals with colder weather. When the temps are cold the night before, I have to granny the vehicle when shifting through the first couple of gears until it comes to operating temperature, otherwise it will clunk when going from 2nd to 3rd (or is it 1st to 2nd?). At any rate, I can have it idling for upwards of 20 minutes before driving off & it will still clunk. Only after I've driven a few miles on the freeway & get off does it no longer clunk. So, in my experience, the transmission fluid being heated by the radiator doesn't really seem to be working as well as I would have thought.

Mine is at Nissan right now getting the official Nissan bypass installed, so I'll see what, if any, difference I notice with the transmission shifting.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:05 pm

smj999smj wrote:Issues with automatic transmission fluid are two-fold. For one, it can prevent the trans from entering lock-up if the fluid temp sensor is seeing the transmission fluid as being to cold. Second, if the fluid does not reach proper operating temperature, it will not burn off condensation that occurs inside the transmission. WHile it is easy to say that despite it being cold, the transmission fluid must be warming up to proper temperature because the transmission is shifting fine, it is impossible to tell unless you have install a gauge to monitor the transmission fluid temperature.
Per your own statement, we can tell if the trans fluid is warmed up by observing if the transmission goes into lockup. Pretty easy to determine this just by watching your tachometer, and having a good idea what the RPM/vehicle speed should be. I can tell you that based on my testing, in similar condition, it takes no longer for my transmission to go into lockup than it did when I was not bypassed. I have timed it, an
smj999smj wrote:As far as the statement, "there is no data showing that a rad from ebay is any less susceptible to a failure than what I already have," this is true; there is no such data. In fact, any vehicle with a radiator that has an integral trans cooler or engine oil cooler "could" potentially experience a failure resulting in cross-contamination of coolant and oil or transmission fluid. That said, integral coolers is not by any means a new idea; they've been used reliably for decades. I'm not sure what the first year was that had an integral trans cooler, but I do know they've been using them for over fifty years. I started working as a Nissan tech in 1985 and had never seen an integral cooler fail on a Nissan vehicle until the 2005 models.
One only needs to do a google search for "failed transmission cooler" and you can very quickly see that this component can and has been a problem on just about any vehicle out there.
smj999smj wrote:They issue we're seeing is not of the fact that the 2005-2010 Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers used an integral mounted cooler for the transmission fluid, but that Calsonic-Kansei made either a poorly designed cooler or had an issue of their manufacturing of those radiators. Ironically, the Pathfinders made in Spain for the European market have had no issues with the radiator cooler.
Agree on the first statement, but we don't have any data or experience to make a definitive statement regarding failures in Europe and other markets.
smj999smj wrote:I don't have any concerns of the aftermarket radiator that I installed. For those that have concerns of installing a "made in China" part, radiators from Canada's Spectra Premium can be found for around $160-170. If money is no object, I hear Griffen Radiators is making an all-aluminum unit for around $550, which is about the same as the list price for the "updated" plastic-tanked radiator from Nissan.
So based on your experience, you don't have concerns. I have no issue with that.

I also have no concerns, as my coolant and trans fluid have no possibility of ever mixing.

I think that both methods (Bypass or Rad Replacement) are valid. And if cost is a concern, then the bypass is the way to go.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 pm

"So based on your experience, you don't have concerns. I have no issue with that.

I also have no concerns, as my coolant and trans fluid have no possibility of ever mixing.

I think that both methods (Bypass or Rad Replacement) are valid. And if cost is a concern, then the bypass is the way to go."

If you're happy, then I'm happy! :wink:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm

I thought this page on transmission temperatures might be of interest to some:

http://www.digi-panel.com/trannyoil.htm

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”