The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Front Tow hitch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canderso

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Front Tow hitch? Reply with quote

Just recently purchased a 2011 Nissan Pathfinder for towing and hunting. I plan to tow a utility trailer and a 16' mod-v john boat for hunting. The some of the ramps I use in the winter are unimproved dirt ramps. Depending on tide level, the dirt can be soft dirt or mud. I was thinking about adding a front hitch mount so that I can pick up a winch and put it in a cradle mount. I am not completely interested in having a winch mounted permanently to the front of the truck. But if I am out with jjust my son and I and we are the only truck around, it would be nice to know that I can get unstuck from some mud if that became an issue.

After some google searching, I found that Curt makes a front hitch (#31241). Does anyone have experience with mounting a front hitch to their R51 Pathfinder?

Thanks in advance.
doctahjones

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't have that kind of experience. i might be interested though too. i plan on doing some offroading and would love to have a winch, but i don't want it permanently mounted since i don't have a nice grill to go with it.

only thing i have currently is the front OEM recovery hook.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/51110p-hook-assy-front-towing-pathfinder-r51-2005-2010-p-562799.html

don't they make "free standing" winches that hook inbetween a recovery hook and a tree (or another vehicle)? if not then i have a patent idea.... Smile
airraid quick fit "cold-ish" air intake
2in rancho 9000XL front / bilstein HD rear / 4x4parts.com 2in HD rear springs
airlift 1000
bfg at 285/65/18
rocky road super sliders
cgray

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make what you are talking about (limited to 1000lb capacity though). Would probably be enough to get un-stuck.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Warn-PullzAll/1175632.uts?productVariantId=2917080&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03182307&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=DDAA962F-6E2E-E011-8E88-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=27638438591&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=52254830351&gclid=CLfx_LShprcCFWJlMgodCn0AmA

or the old fashion come-a-long. cheap and effective

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Big-Red-4-Ton-Come-Along-Cable-Puller-with-3-Hooks-TR8041/100594354#.UZrp-uDbCa4
'06 SE - Bull Bar w/ KC Highlites - K&N - Air Box Mod - By-passed water/oil transmission cooler - 2" Rancho Quicklift w/ Rancho Rear Spacers - Air Lift 1000 - Cooper AT3 LT265/75R16 - Blacked-Out Chrome
doctahjones

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally forgot the come-a-long.

i think that's some pretty cheap 'insurance' and will probably buy one if we end up meeting up this weekend for the trails. i don't think we'd be doing anything that a tow rope couldn't fix, but i'd rather not rely on just that. Smile
airraid quick fit "cold-ish" air intake
2in rancho 9000XL front / bilstein HD rear / 4x4parts.com 2in HD rear springs
airlift 1000
bfg at 285/65/18
rocky road super sliders
canderso

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal recovery system right now is a 10,000lb come-a-long and a couple of yellow recovery straps. Was thinking about "moving up" in the world. But as far as space and additional work to modify the truck, a come along wil continue to work just fine.

I don't get stuck that often anyway! Wait, maybe that's one of those things you are supposed to say or think outloud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 General Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: