My Transmission story - Updated 07/10/13

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

Vividcard

My Transmission story - Updated 07/10/13

Postby Vividcard » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I figured that since I was stupid enough to not perform the bypass and have found myself in a predicament that none of us want to be in (but more of us than we care to admit are) That I will be giving the rest of my friends here the scoop on what happened and what i'm doing to resolve the issues I am having. In no way am I saying that what I do will help you at all, nor do I take responsibility for what you do after reading this article. But otherwise, Read on and take pleasure in my pain! If you have any questions, please post them and I will answer them and update the front page post... Also, DO THE BYPASS!...

07/04/2013
Well Happy 4th to me!, Driving through town today My transmission popped and I has a loss of practically all power... Pulled into the nearest drive-way and found this:
image ru[/img]
image hosting over 10mb

Sorry for the large images. But It looks like I've got a contamination. Just barely over 100k and the class action is over. I guess the battle begins...

07/08/2013
Today it was confirmed for certain from two different shop's in my local area... Japanese Auto recognized the issue and told me to take it to Salem Transmission Service (both places in Salem, OR). When I took in the truck they pulled the dipstick and told me to prepare for the worst. The man at Salem Transmission actually asked me what make, model, and year of car I needed the transmission service on, and upon telling him frowned and said I know whats wrong.

The man then proceeded to tell me that It was actually going to be better to run it through Salem Nissan, as they are one of the more reasonable dealers, They likely have the parts on hand (Salem Transmission would have likely taken 3 weeks for the repair) and would honestly be on par with the same cost for repair. So I will be taking it there for the actual repair. He also told me that should a recall come in to play or some kind of refund it will be way easier to get reimbursed if it was done dealer side.

I will be dropping of the vehicle tonight for an estimate and repair. In the meantime I have contacted every email I can get my hands on to reach out to Nissan to assist me with the repairs, as I am just over 100k. So far, only one reply. From the consumer relations department, It reads as follows:
Dear ************,

Thank you for allowing us an opportunity to review your concerns regarding your Nissan .

Nissan realizes situations may occur with your Nissan vehicle that unfortunately fall outside of the parameters of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty provided with your vehicle. As a company interested in winning lifetime customers, Nissan apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced and we are pleased you took the time to contact us regarding the situation.

Nissan carefully considered your request during a review of all of the available facts pertaining to your specific situation. Nissan will not be able to move forward with your issue due to the vehicle being outside of the warranty.

We realize this may not be the answer you were looking for, but we hope that you understand our position. If you have any further comments or concerns, please feel free to contact our Consumer Affairs department at 1-800-647-7261 and reference your case number.

Sincerely,
Nissan North America, Inc.

Lorenzo Espiridion
Consumer Affairs Representative
Nissan Consumer Affairs
Thanks for the cookie cutter response, I have replied again, threatening legal action. I have also sent the same email to several VP's and the CEO's email. I will keep you informed on my result...

07/10/2013
Salem Nissan told me today that the cost of the repair would be $5350.00... Funny that the actual service underwriter was giving me cue's on how to convince Nissan to help me. I also received a call from Nissan Executive customer care. I had high hopes they would meet me in the middle. After letting me waste 30 minutes on the phone with them, they told me to essentially "Fly a Kite", or so the expression goes.

I am now pursuing legal counsel in my area. I think the option is small claims court. I will be going for the full damages and whatever else I can claim in Small claims. Oregon seems to have a $10,000 small claims limit so this seems the right option. Going through some consultations next week. I will let you guys know what the outcome is. For now, I need to find a way to shell $5350 into the truck... Let the war begin! :x

Q and A:
Last edited by Vividcard on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:02 pm

shit that sucks. sorry man.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Damn shame! Glad I swapped my radiator out!

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:39 am

Just a matter of verifying my practically known transmission, anyone been in my same boat have an Idea of average cost. Just missed out on the Class Action too. I'm still gonna contact Nissan exec's and go to war!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:54 am

I would start calling around to find out the cost of rebuild.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:24 am

I hesitate to post this, as it might feel like I'm rubbing salt in the wound... That is not my intent.

Any reason you hadn't done the bypass?

I know some people have their reasons... And its really easy for those of us that have to sit here and brag about being bypassed or having replaced the rad with aftermarket.

t

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 am

disallow wrote:I hesitate to post this, as it might feel like I'm rubbing salt in the wound... That is not my intent.

Any reason you hadn't done the bypass?
Realistically there isn't a good reason, I worried about causing transmission damage not using the cooler (which was a stupid reason). But I think mainly it was because if I was gonna do it I was gonna drop in an aftermarket cooler. and with the news of the NHTSA I was hoping a recall was coming soon and I didn't want them to dodge a proper recall inspection based on aftermarket installations... Guess I got what was coming for me :P

As an Ironic turn of events I can say that I am now a firm supporter the the bypass.

iheartmypathy

Postby iheartmypathy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:35 pm

i had my 05 tranny fail, cost about $5400 for everything. sorry this happened to you man :(

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Just as a heads up to all, I have turned my thread into an ongoing story as I have had some questions myself about the issue that I have had to compile from different sources. So rather than making others proceed the same way as me I am providing a way for you to hear and hopefully see pictures as the repair continues. Stay tuned as I update the postings!

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”