Climate Control Issue

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

dwoodard170

Climate Control Issue

Postby dwoodard170 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:45 pm

2005 LE 4WD. 117K

The AC gets cold (at least as cold as it ever has) but evidently the mechanism that switches from defrost to feet to dash vents has or at least has almost failed completely. I have to go from full cold (setting) to full hot and in manual mode eventually I can usually get the cold to come out the dash, but sometimes it is hot on the passenger side. And sometimes not.

Any body know how the switching between all the different modes works on these things? At the auto parts store the clerk described some sort of valve system that is on some cars but he could not find anything on the Pathy.

I have searched the other posts relating to this and I have certainly experienced the crazy "auto" mode but this problem does not seem to be remedied by going manual.

Thanks again guys!

Dan

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:07 pm

It sounds like you have a malfunctioning selector control. Typically, manufacturers design the system so that it defaults to defrost (for safety) if this fails.

What you have to figure out is if it's a malfunctioning switch/dial or the valve motor. There is an in-depth diagnostic procedure in the service manual (free download). You have to take a bit of your dash apart.

I know AC troubles are highly annoying, so I feel for you!

dwoodard170

Postby dwoodard170 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks Dan. Great info. I think it may be the motor since the selected mode shows up on the screen (nav screen). It just labors to change modes. Come to think of it it does always start out in defrost. Never put that 2 and 2 together. I am gonna take it to the dealership tomorrow and see if they will diagnose it for me. Thanks.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Sounds great. Let us know what you find out.

Good luck!

dwoodard170

Postby dwoodard170 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:01 am

Dealer says I need a new ac control module and the can help me out for a cool $720 bucks.

I'm thinking the wife didn't need heat or air conditioning anyway!

:twisted:

Return to “R51 General Chat”