Need help, 03 Pathfinder SE, engine / trans issue, maybe...

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

erhard

Need help, 03 Pathfinder SE, engine / trans issue, maybe...

Postby erhard » Tue May 27, 2008 10:47 am

03 Pathfinder SE, loss of power while driving / engine bog down / transmission slow

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I have searched and I have found a few that are kinda close but not exactly the same issue I have had, so if anyone has had this issue or something close to it, any suggestions would be great...

So I have a 2003 SE Nissan Pathfinder automatic, with ~56,000 miles on it…

The problem that I have had has happened I think about 3 times over about a 6~8 month period.

So here it is….

I was driving around sightseeing with some friends and at the end of the day I was driving home and from a stop I was accelerating and all of a sudden I lost power/ felt like I had molasses in my transmission. So I was speeding up and when it hit about let’s say 40~45mph, it didn’t matter how far I put my foot to the floor, I couldn’t go any faster, the engine seemed to bog down and stay at about 2000~3000 RPMs with my foot to the floor. I took it off and put it in neutral and was able to rev the 4000+ RPM’s, as soon as I put it back in gear, same thing, no go… It seemed like I had molasses in the transmission. I then pulled over and tried again, still no go, so I shut it off and waited a few minutes and then no issue and it it now runs fine.
Again all three times this has happened, shutting off the engine for a few minutes it seems to take care of the problem… the other 2 times were also short trips around my home.
I had also taken it to the dealer and had them have a look at it and no issues, bring it in if it happens again when it is happening…

OK so now some of the things I checked are all my fluids and they are good. I change them when they are due.
Oh yeah, no check engine light or anything on the dash…
I have thought about the transmission fluid, I also read somewhere about a “lower swirl valve” or a “vacuum cut bypass valve”???

erhard

Update...

Postby erhard » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:22 am

Well here's an update... So I took it to AAMCO and they had a look at it. He said it ran great! I told him that's how is normally is. He told me also that the problem that I was describing was call a "Limp mode" or "Safe mode"; basically the transmission senses something wrong and goes into this mode of 2nd gear only.
Next part is he took off the transmission pan and found a lot of brass metal shavings... more than normal. NOT good...
So I had him flush it, changed the filters and then I took it over to the dealer to see if I was still covered under warranty... and by 30 days and 1200 miles, it's covered... So my Pathfinder is going into the shop on Tuesday and the dealer is going to have another look at it and we shall see... I'll update when I know more...

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:09 am

Sounds just like what I had on my Pathfinder. Mine ended up being code P2138 (accelerator sensor error). It's going to cost almost $400 for getting it replaced. Mine happened Friday night and ran fine on Monday on the way to the dealer.

erhard

New Transmission...

Postby erhard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:49 am

Hey All, Here is the latest... The Dealer said that they are going to put a new transmission in, no issues... Since I have had these problems with it. No hassles or arguments, no rebuild, just a nice shinny new transmission...

Now unfortunately I may not know what caused the problem or started to fail in the transmission...

So I have to write that Royal Moore Nissan in Hillsboro, OR is great! :D

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:44 am

Glad they are getting it done for you. Are you getting a loaner while the work is getting done? I guess they will let you drive it until the new transmission arrives and they can do the job?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”