The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Coolant: Nissan vs. Generic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanJetta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Coolant: Nissan vs. Generic Reply with quote

I went to the dealer to buy coolant and the parts guy told me to just buy the green stuff from a parts store. He said for the older Pathfinders (R51) that take the green stuff it doesn't matter and that the green Nissan coolant is the same as the generic green stuff at twice the price.

Thoughts?
akley88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant: Nissan vs. Generic Reply with quote

DanJetta wrote:
I went to the dealer to buy coolant and the parts guy told me to just buy the green stuff from a parts store. He said for the older Pathfinders (R51) that take the green stuff it doesn't matter and that the green Nissan coolant is the same as the generic green stuff at twice the price.

Thoughts?

ive used the universal works with all types coolant with no issue
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on a couple Nissan enthusiast sites that many were using Honda Blue premix. I went that route on my truck as I had a couple extra jugs in my garage. It has worked with no issues.

Honda Type 1 coolant is silicate and borate free, which can help with water pump bushing and impeller longevity. But I really have no idea if that matters on the pathy. (probably not)

t

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 343000kms (213000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissan has blue anti-freeze, as well. They started using it on vehicles in 2010. It is compatible with the green anti-freeze, but on its own it has a longer service life. The Nissan green seems to be thicker than the generic green anti-freeze. That said, I've used universal Prestone ant-freeze and Peak green anti-freeze and never had any problems. One thing I do is mix it with distilled water (like you're supposed to) rather than tap water. You can get it in a gallon jug for $1.05 at any Walmart.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
DanJetta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 General Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: